Frikadellen

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Frikadellen

Postby Fatman » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:56 pm

Frikadellen - what are they? sausages ? burgers? Dutch? Deustch?

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:39 pm

Hi Fatman

German / Scandinavian origin cooked pork patties usually with onions.
Can be made with pork & beef, lidl have a good one if you want to try them, also available at Netto, although not as good. If you can find the Tulip ones maybe under danepak label I can vouch for these being very good.

Regards
sausagemaker
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Fatman » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:03 am

Sausagemaker

Thank you for your reply, I was teasing a little please excuse me!

Frikadelle and Frikadeller are the same but with different spelling and Frikadellen is the plural for both.

The Dutch Frikadellen come as a skinless sausage.

The German Frikadellen come as a Pattie/Burger.

The Scandinavian Frikadellen usually come as meatballs, remembering Sweden's national dish is meatballs (strange that)

Sorry to bore anyone !

Regards

Fatman
Fatman
Registered Member

Enlightenment

Postby Parson Snows » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:44 pm

fatman

enlightenment is never boring

kind regards

Parson Snows
Heavenly Father Bless us
And keep us all alive
There's ten around the table
And food enough for five... Amen
Parson Snows
Registered Member

Postby cumberland-sausage » Tue May 10, 2005 10:42 pm

has anyone got a recipe for the dutch sausage type ones like they sell in supermarkets over there? I haven't had any of that artificial tasting rubbish for ages ;-)
cumberland-sausage
Registered Member

Postby Erikht » Wed May 11, 2005 2:59 pm

Actually, the Danish meatballs are called Frikadeller(plural), or Frikadelle(singular). They can vary in size, but are usually a bit bigger than the Swedish Meatballs, called K�ttbullar(plural) or K�ttbulle(singular), while the Norwegian vareity is a bit bigger than the Frikadelle, and are called Kj�ttkaker(plural) or Kj�ttkake(singular), meaning meatcakes. I don't know much about the dutch variety.

They are usually a mix of mince beef, egg and a little oat- or potatoemeal. (Say 500 grams of beef, 1 tsp salt, 1 egg and 1-2 tblspoons of potatoemeal). After mixing this in, you add one or more of black pepper, thyme, chopped raw onion, allspise, nutmeg, cassis, anchovies, garlick, mint, oregano, whatever tick you off, really.

Fry them, and put them in the gravy.

Usually served in gravy with boiled potatoes and lingonberry jam(cranberry sauce is ok). Vegetables of your choice, but in Norway pea purree or stewed cabbage/carrots are traditional.

Frikadelles are one of the meatdishes that can pe preserved at home, usually in glass jars in stock, with a layer of fat to cover.
100 years of freedom
Erikht
Global Moderator

Postby pawclaws » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:52 pm

I love this site!! :D
Phil Foreman
AKA Pawclaws or
Sgt Kass Irons, CSA
Instructor of Cooks and QM, Mosby's Raiders
www.ohiocampcooks.org
pawclaws
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:59 pm

Frikadellen is a meat patty and the real forefather of the Hamburger. In Germany and Switzerland this is still a favourite snak food which is eaten warm (fryed) or cold. I absolutly love them both ways. Every week I make a batch and eat them in between meals or when we go out on a hike or hunting trip.

As a Swiss I have been raised on such "fast food". There are as many recipes for Frikadellen as there are Geramn and Swiss housholds. The beatuy of these things is that you can add what ever turns your fancy, bread, vegetables or other meats such as fish for as long as 60% to 70% consist of pure meat.
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby VimFuego » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:46 pm

Now we're talking turkey (and pork, beef, chicken and a mystery ingredient I'll get to in a minute)... I LOVE Frikadellen.

I'm not bothered about the German variety; suspicious grey meat patties probably closest to a rissole in the UK, but which are often actually passed off as burgers in Germany (we all know those establishments selling 10 second meals called things like Ganzgutgrosseubercheeseburgerja). I've had some luck soaking them in Tabasco overnight, but the end product is still exceedingly dull. The best thing I can say about them is if you freeze them they'll bring joy to your table, but only if it's an air-hockey table.

The Dutch (also Belgian) variety though are the midnight snack of champions, going down (and, indeed, coming up) especially easily after 17 pints of Oranjeboom or a deep breath of that special Amsterdam air, if that's more your kind of thing. For those who've never tried them, they're a sausage "link" with a crisp skin and what appears to be boiled, almost sponge-like meat inside. They have a mild curry taste and are, like most things in life including politicians, best when deep fried.

I would have no idea how to go about making them, and for a very good reason. These babies are a mixture of most meats known to man, but some unknown (or at least unacknowledged) to Anglo-American man, namely horse. I suspect the proportion of horse is pretty small in comparison to the turkey, chicken, beef, pork, wombat etc but nevertheless it's there in the ingredients (which, as an aside, I recommend you NEVER read on Dutch snack foods as it seriously impairs the enjoyment). This is actually the second best thing about frikadellen after their sublime flavor; feed them to your friends and, once they've raved about them, inform them of the equine presence. They turn the same color as the sausage they've just eaten.

I would highly doubt these would be allowed to be imported into North America, so I'm not going to even try to find them here. There's certainly none available in the strip district in Pittsburgh, and they'll sell *anything* they're legally able to. I have found them in the UK, however, in those bulk frozen food shops dealing in 50p meals from Poland (possibly with an original best before date of 1987) that permeate northern towns. Eldon Foods in Newcastle or Sunderland Foods in Sunderland are good places to start if you're in the north-east, they tend to get overstocks of them a couple of times a year.

In summary, all hail the frikadellen. Delicious, nutritious, and one of the only foods available from those Dutch hole in the wall vending machines that don't come out the other end 100% intact 20 minutes later. And at least now we know what happened to Shergar!
VimFuego
Newly Registered

Postby Josh » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:44 pm

Josh
Registered Member

Postby roseway » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:05 pm

I don't really understand why there's such repugnance at the thought of eating horse meat, when the same people will happily eat (for example) venison. What's the difference, morally speaking?

Eric
roseway
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:41 pm

Horse is tasty, lean and more pleasant to cook with than venison. Just wish I could get some! (It makes great burgers as well.)
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:49 pm

It's a must when we're in France. Absolutely delicious, if you don't try it you are missing out.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:08 pm

During WW2 there was a continental butchers at the Boleyn just past West
Hams football gropund and there was always queues for the horse meat
which was not on ration.

I don't know if the meat came from the local knackers yard but if you saw
the broken down old Totters ponies that were taken there for the glue
factory you wouldn't eat the stuff.

Joking aside I suppose it was slaughtered under the right conditions and I
remember we had it once foe sunday lunch and it was quite nice but
rather sweet.... my Father (God Bless him) refused to eat it because it
was horse so we never had it again.

From what I remember the meat hanging up was a darker red than Beef
and the fat was yelllow where beef was creamy. I understand that the
rump steaks are something again.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Boycebangers » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:40 am

I have to point out that meatballs were originally Finnish and NOT Swedish!!!!!!! :evil:

I am not a Finn but I do live here and love everything about the place and I feel I may have become slightly patriotic of the country but meatballs are Finnish......why supermarkets insist on labelling them as Swedish meatballs is beyond me. :?

We have a saying here about the Swedes but at the risk of offending any Swedish members I will not publicly announce it...it is very funny though unless you are Swedish of course! :lol:

REMEMBER MEATBALLS ARE FINNISH!!!! :D :D :D
Boycebangers
Registered Member

Next

Return to Cookery in general