Butter Making

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby johnfb » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:12 pm

Shirl
What do you use to make your butter...is it a churn, an hand electric mixer or the infamous glass jar and crazy shaking for half an hour???
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Shirl » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:20 pm

johnfb wrote:Shirl
What do you use to make your butter...is it a churn, an hand electric mixer or the infamous glass jar and crazy shaking for half an hour???

John its nothing exciting.... I use my kenwood chef. I buy any cream I find in the reduced sections and make up my butter to freeze and use as needed.

I havent bought any butter or spreads for a number of years. I use the buttermilk in yoghurt making or in cheese sauces as its incredibly creamy. I freeze it in portion sized bags and just take a bag out in a morning if I know I shall need it for dinner.
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:28 pm

Thank You

Don't mention blackberry and apple - Click here for my experiences in that department! :oops:

(The formatting may be a little wonky 'cos I've changed the site around)
Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:46 pm

Shirl wrote:
johnfb wrote:Shirl

John its nothing exciting.... I use my kenwood chef. I buy any cream I find in the reduced sections and make up my butter to freeze and use as needed.

I havent bought any butter or spreads for a number of years. I use the buttermilk in yoghurt making or in cheese sauces as its incredibly creamy. I freeze it in portion sized bags and just take a bag out in a morning if I know I shall need it for dinner.

I too use the kenwood to make butter - you have to watch it if you don't have a bowl cover (or strategically placed tea towel) as it tends to redecorate the kitchen!
I read somewhere that if you put a bit of yogurt in the cream, and leave it overnight, it adds to the taste and the volume of butter it makes is increased - ever since I read this (I can't remember where) my local supermarket hasn't had any cream reduced :cry: , so I've yet to try it.
How do you use your buttermilk in yogurt?
Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Shirl » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:52 pm

wheels wrote:[How do you use your buttermilk in yogurt?
Phil

I just substitute the UHT milk for buttermilk? It goes thicker than UHT I find. Makes a gorgeous creamy yoghurt. I make a cherry syrup and its just like a fruit corner only better!
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:24 am

Shirl
Your post above has just reminded me that I've got a 'mouli' screen/sieve attachment for my Kenwood - Doh!
Great blog by the way - I've added it to my feeder.
Do you just replace some of the milk with buttermilk or the whole lot?
I just can't imagine that watery liquid I use to make scones turning into thick and unctious yogurt.
Phil

Mod comment, I have split butter making from a sausage thread so if posts don't exactly follow on please blame me..

Dave
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Shirl » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:04 am

Yes its watery, but so is milk and that makes yoghurt. I use as much buttermilk I have on that particular day.. sometimes half the amount sometimes more.

You should try it in sauces too. As I mentioned before it really is perfect in cheese sauce as it makes it so creamy

Thanks for the compliment on my blog too, its appreciated. :D
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:22 pm

Shirl
Just read the butter making section on your blog.
Can you explain in detail the rinsing part please???
Ta
John
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Shirl » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:29 pm

Hi John.

I keep meaning to update the pictures on my butter entry. If I am rinsing in the Kenwood I simply keep emptying the water out and refilling with clean. I just do this until the water is almost clear. I don't think you can get all the buttermilk out but nowadays with freezers and refridgaration I don't think its so important.

I have one of those plastic covers for the KC otherwise it would be a very messy experience. If I didnt I would just slap the butter in a colander and prod it about a bit whilst running cold water over it.

I also never salt my butter.
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Thu May 01, 2008 4:05 pm

Shirl
Would the butter milk be ok to use in ice cream making???
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Shirl » Thu May 01, 2008 4:14 pm

Hmmm thats one thing I don't make as we don't eat ice cream! :shock:

I would think the answer is no though because ice cream uses cream and butter milk is very thin and wouldn't thicken up sufficiently. When I use buttermilk for yoghurt I need to add milk powder to get a good consistency.
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Thu May 01, 2008 7:05 pm

Shirl wrote:Hmmm thats one thing I don't make as we don't eat ice cream! :shock:

I would think the answer is no though because ice cream uses cream and butter milk is very thin and wouldn't thicken up sufficiently. When I use buttermilk for yoghurt I need to add milk powder to get a good consistency.

Shirl
When I make ice cream i use cream and homemade custard and a half hour in the ice cream maker... what do you think of using the buttermilk to make the custard??
Just thinking of making a more silky ice cream...my stomach is rumbling at the thoughts of it :lol:
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Shirl » Thu May 01, 2008 8:49 pm

Well when I make yoghurt there is a slight 'top' on it where the butter that is left in the buttermilk has separated so you may get that but it does act the same as butter. In fact I used buttermilk only to make a cheese sauce tonight and it thickens up nicely in a sauce.

Could you try a small amount so you don't waste ingredients? I'm a bit out of my depth with ice cream as I've never made it :?
Shirl
Registered Member

Postby clivmar » Thu May 01, 2008 9:16 pm

Hi Shirl,

Followed your recipe for making butter in a Kenwood using the k beater, excellent result tastes lovely. I used Asda�s double cream to start me off. I�ll be on the look out for reduced creams from now on.
clivmar
clivmar
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Fri May 02, 2008 6:36 am

Check this out...excellent video on butter making

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtT2c3UA_Rs
johnfb
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Cookery in general