Chile powder and cayenne pepper

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Chile powder and cayenne pepper

Postby Technocod » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:16 pm

Does anyone know what is the difference between the Chile powder and cayenne pepper? I know Chili powder is a blend of Chile powder (i.e. ground dried Chilie's) and other things (such as oregano), but is Cayenne pepper just a type of Chile powder, except you know what variety of chile pepper it has come from?

If it is ~ my local asian supermarkets usually have mild, medium, hot and extra hot chile powders, which I assume are made from different chile pepper varieties, or perhaps have more of the seeds in to control heat~ does anyone know where on the heat scale Cayenne pepper would be?
Technocod
Newly Registered

Postby saucisson » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:13 pm

It is generally rated at 30,000 to 50,000 Scoville Units, but that assumes it has been made from genuine Cayenne chillies.

* Mild: 0 to 5,000 SHUs
* Medium: 5,000 to 20,000 SHUs
* Hot: 20,000 to 70,000 SHUs
* Extreme: 70,000 to 30,000 SHUs

Having said that I'm sure I could find some very different figures depending on the cayenne powder.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby vinner » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:56 pm

Welcome Technocd!

Most chili powders do indeed have other ingredients (salt, garlic, cumin, herbs, etc.) but not all do. If they are labeled properly, yu should be able to tell. If it is the powder of a chile pepper, it should say so.

Cayenne is, of course, a type of chile pepper. It should be only the ground up chile pepper, but you would have to read or ask the merchant. Cayenne is famous (at least in the US) as the pepper that goes into Tabasco sauce from Louisiana, on every table at every diner. Cayenne is usually around 35,000 Scoville units, ten times the Jalapeno (3500 -4500) and well below the habanero (200,000 - 300,000)

Keep in mind that subvarieties exist (the Texas A&M University mild jalapeno comes to mind) and growing coditioons have an effect on the heat as well.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby Hexain » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:38 am

Cayenne is made from a specific, hot pepper.

Paprikas are usually made from milder peppers -- sweet paprika is even available, which to me does not taste even a little spicey.

Chili powder, however, is rather different -- it's a mix that includes dried ground chile peppers (often both cayenne and paprika), cumin, garlic, and oregano.
Hexain
Newly Registered

Postby the chorizo kid » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:55 pm

i think there is no similarity between the ground peppers found in the oriental store and the ground chili peppers found in the mexican store. what do a ground guajillo chili and a ground hot pepper [cayenne; chili japonicum etc] have in common?
nothing but heat. in addition, the chili powders are made with ground chili peppers, not ground cayenne, regardless of heat.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general