Cooking ham in coca cola

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Cooking ham in coca cola

Postby wallie » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:51 pm

Further to my query regarding cooking a ham I just remembered one of the TV cookery series by Nigella where she was waxing lyrical about the ham in coca cola method of cooking a ham.
Anyone tried this?

wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby Gordon » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:41 pm

We tried Nigella's ham cooked in ginger ale last year, it was featured on the christmas cooking show.I must say it was a nice change from ham cooked in the normal way.

I have also heard of chicken cooked in Coke, actually in Coke and peanut butter I would imagine it tastes much better than it sounds, I'll get around to trying it one day.
<a>Chop On Line </a>
Gordon
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:54 pm

Whenever I make spare ribs I add a bottle of coke along with the other stuff. It makes the ribs all sticky and sweet...very nice...very fatty
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Gordon » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:31 pm

For spare ribs I use honey, hoysin sauce, onions, garlic, water and a little seasoning I cook them in the oven until they are just about to give up then I transfer them to the bbq.
<a>Chop On Line </a>
Gordon
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:11 pm

Hi,

Yes I have made it and it was very good. I'd not say it was better than a more traditional way, using water, flavouring veg etc, but it was an interesting and agreeable change. The south park black bean soup that you can make with the cooking liquid afterwards was excellent though, and almost justifies the original recipe. You MUST use Coke original, apparently.

Got a recipe?
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:02 am

You brine the ham in Coke :lol: :lol:

From Spuddy:

"Easy Ham Recipe

3 Gallons ice cold water
6oz salt (preferably iodine free or unrefined)
6oz cure No. 1 (same stuff Franco sells)
1 level tbsp ground white pepper
20 bayleaves or 1tbsp ground bayleaf
1 tbsp ground cloves
3oz brown sugar or replace 3 pints of the water with 3 pints coca cola (not diet) - I prefer the coke, trust me it works!! "

Having said that, my nephew cooked the Nigella recipe with a shop bought ham and it was rather good.

Dave

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Cookery in general