Cheesecake

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Cheesecake

Postby captain wassname » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:05 am

I have trying to make cold cheesecake i.e. biscuiut base plus [proper cheese) and some sweet topping
Since I was a child I have eaten, or ate ,.cheese in or out of sandwitches with jam or honey (and Im shure if we could afford it Marmite)

I am now seeking to make a topping for a cheesecake, I am thinking after experimenting with a soft blue mixed withmarcapone topped with either a soft gots or ewes mixed with

honey or maple syrup or maybe ,more savoury ,mollases

All lies of course I have not got past the soft blue plus marscapone.I love this with jam.but I am mocked by small people All I need is the help of a few like minded and We can overthrow Ms Lee.

Shurely no to mutch to ask

spellczhekz by pivot

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby Pork Pie Eyed Dolly » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:10 pm

I love blue cheese dunked in chocolate fondue, so am definitely into the idea of a savoury-ish cheesecake and in fact I do have a recipe for one that I am yet to try. I think Delia does a savoury cheesecake too, served with pears and balsamic.
Pork Pie Eyed Dolly
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:31 pm

I like Lancashire with fruitcake...(washed down with a dram of Highland Park).....it sounds odd, but it is a sweet/savoury combo that seems to work.

Cheers,

Mike.
Mike D
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby vinner » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:42 pm

My mom always used a pint of sour cream or creme fraiche, into which she mixed 4 tablespoons of sugar (or sometimes honey) and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. She spread this on the cheesecake for the final 10 minutes of cooking time. As she used lemon juice in her cake, this was a great combination.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:10 pm

Mike D wrote:I like Lancashire with fruitcake...(washed down with a dram of Highland Park).....it sounds odd, but it is a sweet/savoury combo that seems to work.

Cheers,

Mike.

My Grandma used to crumble Lancashire cheese into the bottom of apple pies, hmmmm!!
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Davred » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:57 pm

A general purpose topping that you can add to as you want.
This is for the filling only, you can use a biscuit, pastry or even a cake base.

Cheesecake

16 oz cream cheese
1 pt sour cream
5 eggs
8 oz sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla (or almond) essence

Cream the cream cheese, then add the ingredients in the order given-
one at a time. Pour into a spring form pan on top of a graham wafer
crust.

Bake at 160C for one hour, then turn off the oven,
do not open the door for one hour.

Remove from oven, and put the cake into the fridge (after it cools) for
about 8 hours.

Top with fruit cherry pie filling, fresh or frozen strawberries, chocolate shavings, etc And add a dollop of whipped cream.
Davred
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:07 pm

Dave; I lovethe idea of Lancashire in an apple pie

Singletons make a tasty creamy Lancashire available at our local Sainsbury. It is quite strong. Trouble is Bonny is on a diet and I would feel bad eating pie in front of her.,but Ill definitley give it a go over christmas (any time after Dec.18 which is her birthday)

Jim.
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:17 pm

Christmas isn't supposed start until after the 20th in our house for the same reason (my wife's birthday) :)

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby captain wassname » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:29 pm

I could stay up all Saturday night
Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:06 pm

OKpeople: I have the base sorted Deliad shortbread plus 50% more butter pressed fairly thin
Problem comes with the next layer. Idecided that a mixture of marscapone and a strong soft cheese is the way to go.
The only strong soft cheeses seem to be blue so for my last experiment Iwrnt into Keswick and purchased 8 50gm portions of blue and a couple of tubs of marscapone I aint too worried about the topping or weathermost of wich I had to eat

Blue brie tasted Quite good but didnt blend well(marscapone with lumps in)
St Auger mixed well but was too salty.

Buffalo Blue was the nearest but not quite cheesy enough. Ive now given the matter futher consideration and am wondering if it would be possile to melt a strong hard cheese (mature cheddar tasty lancashire) and mix this with marscapone,cream or cottage cheese that might set in a satisfactoy way.I aint worried about the sweet bit If I can get this bit right Im home and dry.

Anyone any thoughts about melting and mixing or suggestions of other strong soft cheese.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:19 pm

Can you find an aged neufschatel?? (sp?)
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:24 pm

When you say blend, did you try a blender/liquidiser? Works a treat with hard cheese and some milk when I am seeding my cheese cultures. :)

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Postby captain wassname » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:54 pm

Hi Dave

No Im lo tech just tried mashing the sofr cheeses for ages. Never thought of liquidising hard cheese.

This is prbably my preferrd taste.

maybe I could try cheese and cream.Or would this turn into a cheese and butter mixture which may be to solid.

Sorry Im getting carried away.could you give aan estimate on proportions to give a mixture which may give a consistancy which might set in a fridge.Would be a nice starting pont.

Many thanks Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:07 am

Hi sorry Vinner I didnt see youy post Ill have a look tomorrow.Im fairly shure i can find the neuf whatever and I certainly aint gonna argue with anothers spelling

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:58 am

captain wassname wrote: could you give an estimate on proportions to give a mixture which may give a consistancy which might set in a fridge.Would be a nice starting point.

Many thanks Jim

Sorry Jim, I turn hard blue cheese into a liquid by liquidising it with the milk I then mix into a larger batch of milk to make cheese with.

I will hazard a guess that if you blend the cheese 50:50 with milk you will get something you can carefully turn into the marscapone, without it splitting. But don't quote me :) Oh dear I'm going to experiment again...

Dave

saucisson
Site Admin

Next

Return to Cookery in general