Southern fried chicken

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Southern fried chicken

Postby Delndi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:34 am

Morning all

Has anyone got a recipe to make up a coating for chicken equivalent (or near enough) to the colonels recipe or the Homepride coat and cook version - ingredients listed as celery, soya, milk protein, Semolina, Breadcrumbs,modified maize starch Hydrog. veg oil, paprika, Onion powder, yeast extract
If you are not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room
Delndi
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:26 pm

wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vinner » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:35 pm

The recipe in Wheels second link looks very similar to one I saw some time ago (and have since lost). The real secret is to use a pressure fryer. Wish I had one of those babies.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:45 am

Vinner is exactly rght it is not possible to achive a takeaway result without a presure fryer (the plan being that the inside is devoid of oil)

IMO the best you could do is to part cook your chicken pieces either grill or maybe boil then mix your herbs and spices ina thin flour and water batter and fry in deep fat @ 375 C

It may be possible to coat your chickeen in the mix and deep fat fry but I have doubts that all the coating would adhere.

The whole point of store produced fried chicken is (so Im told ) there is a realitivaley small amount of fat/oil in the chicken flesh

Deep fat frying in batter in effect frys the outside and steams the inside

If you have any questions I will do my best to help you

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby Bad Flynch » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:29 pm

Look on www.foodnetwork.com or www.foodtv.com , however it comes to you over there and check Alton Brown's recipe for fried chicken. I have tried it and it is quite good.
B.F.
Bad Flynch
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:38 pm

I've given up trying to imitate KFC.

I now use:

4Tbsp Plain Flour
2Tbsp each Thyme & Oregano (Ground)
�Tbsp Salt
�-�Tbsp Ground White Pepper

It's hot and herby. Add Tabasco to your egg-wash for even more bite!

I sometimes add dried breadcrumbs, or ground cream (graham?) crackers
to the flour.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:52 pm

Bad Flynch wrote:Look on www.foodnetwork.com or www.foodtv.com , however it comes to you over there and check Alton Brown's recipe for fried chicken. I have tried it and it is quite good.

I have to admit Alton Brown is my Food Hero. I have seen most every show and use them for resource all the time. If you get a chance to see any of them it is time well wasted. I use his recipes as a guideline and adapting them to my style. What is interesting is that he explains the food science behind why the food is cooked in this manner. While I do not always agree with him. Ribs brazed in the oven verses low and slow on a smoker.

Search "Alton Brown recipes fried chicken" careful there are four of five chicken episodes that he has done with different styles.
Cheers from The Big Dog
www.lesnoiracochon.com
http://blog.lesnoiracochon.com

Where tasty things happen
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:44 pm

johnfb
Global Moderator

Return to Cookery in general