xmass hams 08

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby saucisson » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:03 pm

I hadn't heard of lake effect snow before, but you're in the right place for it all right :)

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wittdog » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:23 pm

Cold dry artic air goes over the not yet frozen great lakes...pics up moisture from the warm (compared to the arctic air mass)...and then dumps in on near by town..... What can get bad is these lake effect bands can sit in one area....just pummleling the area it stis over..

Oh well just got back for grocery shopping with the wife and kids...in the 45min we were gone we had 6 ins to a foot of snow..Now we got plenty of food (the ham might be safe to xmass) and an extra 12 pack of Guineess Extra Stout...a little American football and life will be good
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:25 pm

Yep, as I hadn't heard of it I looked it up. I prefer your explanation :lol:
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wittdog » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:46 am

saucisson we got about 16 inches of new snow but the real story was the 30-40 mph winds...I've got some snow drifts that are 4 ft high
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:17 pm

Hey Whitt dog your not the only one who got blasted with snow. Lake effect has been with us for a week on and off, too dark yet to see how high the drifts are. I'll blow out my drive once it gets light . There is a snow squall warning here , but no snow falling as of yet, we are expecting another storm tomorrow and wednesday.Hunker down time.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:49 pm

Big Guy wrote:Hey Whitt dog your not the only one who got blasted with snow. Lake effect has been with us for a week on and off, too dark yet to see how high the drifts are. I'll blow out my drive once it gets light . There is a snow squall warning here , but no snow falling as of yet, we are expecting another storm tomorrow and wednesday.Hunker down time.

Just dug out...the plan is to stay close to home...I've got the hilltop beans in the crock pot with the ham shanks....I"m not going anywhere
Good luck BigGuy
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:15 pm

BEANS...

Now I would love to see a recipe for that!

I have made them dozens of times but I'm am never happy, the seem to get where I want them without going very dark. I have a few hocks I could smoke to toss in for the pork but would love to see a step by step for those...!

(edit) never mind just saw it.....
Cheers from The Big Dog
www.lesnoiracochon.com
http://blog.lesnoiracochon.com

Where tasty things happen
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:21 pm

Just finished my driveway, 2 feet on the level and 3 ft. drifts' Only 5 more days of winter for me, I'm headed to Tennesee and then on to Florida. I'll be back in April if the snow is gone. :lol:

one of my favourite bean recipes is to soak white beans overnight, next morning change out the water, add some salt,pepper, and a couple of smoked ham hocks, a few bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat,cover and simmer until the hocks fall apart. remove bones and fat, cut meat into small pieces, serve. I love then cold too.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cookery in general