Butter making

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby wheels » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:53 pm

Porker

It's one of those mysteries - sometimes it works quickly, other times it takes ages. I think it's something to do with the age of the cream, temperature etc.

I believe that adding a spoon of yogurt the night before churning may help, but have yet to have both cheap cream and live yogurt at the same time, to try it.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Mike D » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:51 pm

I do mine in a food processor/ liquidiser and it really whizzes around..even then I have to stop and scrape it off the sides until it gets to the stage of splitting. Maybe takes about 5mins.
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

me and butter

Postby beardedwonder5 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:29 pm

Today. Three 500ml cartons of double cream. Morrisons. Yellow label. 85p (each). Yield 970g plus buttermilk, for which my wife says she has a cake recipe.

Taste? Very sweet. Good for toast and jam. An order of mag better than �1.20 supermarket butter.

Now - how does one culture the cream so as to produce butter which has complex taste? (Think mild cheddar vs Montgomery's/Keen's, or Anchor vs Italian Alpine.)

Ditto buttermilk.
GOS, yeah!!!
beardedwonder5
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:33 pm

It may be down to the cows and whether they eat silage or alpine meadow flowers... It would be nice if it wasn't though and there was something we could do to the cream.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Cookery in general