Butter making

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Butter making

Postby wallie » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:09 pm

I would like to know if anyone has used any other method of removing water while making butter instead of using spatula's or butter pat's?
Would a perforated mould do the job, such as a margarine box with perforated bottom then pressing out the water.

Wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:17 pm

Wallie

As I see it, it's when you 'work' the butter that the water comes out. I don't think that 'draining' it would have the same effect.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:28 pm

I just beat it very hard with the K beater of my Kenwood. The butter pretty much stuck to the beater and flung the water off. When I've finished mopping the kitchen I'll have a taste of the butter... :roll:
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:58 pm

We made our first batch of butter this weekend, We used both the food processor and the mix master. The whisk on the kitchen aid (mix master) did a far superior job.

We can not get access to double cream so we have to use 35% whipping bream and the best price is generally $5.00 a ltr which made just over 1/2 butter, not cost effective at all. It was nice to control the amount of salt and perhaps we will do this for competition cooking.

In Canada you seldom see cream on sale nor can we get raw milk from the Farm thanks to our our Dairy board

The girls wanted to do some video on it so I will put that together this week and post.

Cheers
Cheers from The Big Dog
www.lesnoiracochon.com
http://blog.lesnoiracochon.com

Where tasty things happen
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby porker » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:22 pm

Iamarealbigdog wrote:In Canada you seldom see cream on sale nor can we get raw milk from the Farm thanks to our our Dairy board

Cheers

I know some farmers sell the raw milk as for feeding to pets, just to get around the rules! Its still really for human consumption.

Cheers

:)
porker
Registered Member

Postby porker » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:25 pm

saucisson wrote:I just beat it very hard with the K beater of my Kenwood. The butter pretty much stuck to the beater and flung the water off. When I've finished mopping the kitchen I'll have a taste of the butter... :roll:

I'd thought I'd use the 'K' beater as well, are you saying its a no no ? I managed to get a few tubs, so will give this a go when I get a moment. I like salted butter, has anyone measured how much salt they're using? I will be reading all instructions again, a few times.

Cheers

porker
Registered Member

Postby clivmar » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:49 pm

I use 3g for butter made from 600m of cream. This suits me.
clivmar
clivmar
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:35 pm

The K beater was brilliant, but at the point at which it splits it will chuck buttermilk out of the bowl unless you are completely on the ball and pour it off as it comes out. I wasn't this time so made a mess. If you have a funky bowl cover or stop it each time some buttermilk comes out you will be fine.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:23 pm

Been there : Done that : sprayed the kitchen!

After it's split you need to wash it further in cold water, I just dunk it into a bowl full of very cold water and kneed it a bit.
You then bash it about a bit to extract the water - I do this on a couple of paper kitchen towels - or a clean tea towel (If the wife's not looking!).

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wittdog » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:05 pm

We did some as well...the food proceesor work fine for us.
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby Mogwyth » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:07 am

Made 3.5lb at the weekend from 4 of Tescos 4 �1 a pot offer, ate far too much of it night for tea on wife's first loaf from our new (to us) solid fuel Rayburn blooming lovely it was, good job I froze some or the family would scoff the lot.
Bill Hildyard
North Wales
----------------------------------------------------------
It ain't what you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.

http://www.haworthia.org.uk

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club
Mogwyth
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:19 am

Mogwyth says

the family would scoff the lot.

I have to agree...our bacon consumption has increased. This could be due to the great taste of home cured, or wheels's soft bread rolls the bacon goes on....not quite sure yet!

Didn't get around to doing my butter on Friday (OH had me painting & decorating instead - I'll have to have a quite word with her about priorities :wink: ) I have 8 tubs of double cream to deal with, so if Mog's post is anything to go off, I should be getting about 7lb of the stuff.... :D :D :D

Mine goes in a closed food processor....filler her up, turn her on and watch. I also drain the buttermilk and add cold water and blitz again for a couple of times to get the remaining buttermilk out... It goes onto a cold slab and then gets battered with two wooden spatulas, wrapped in grease proof and bunged into the freezer. The main part of buttermilk goes to the cats as a treat. ( When I die, I want to come back as a cat in this house :roll: )
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:15 am

Iamarealbigdog wrote:The girls wanted to do some video on it so I will put that together this week and post.

Cheers

The Black Pig BBQ team is proud to present The Black Pig Makes Butter a how to video

Thanks to all of you who inspire us to be the best we can. Hopefully somebody watches and see's how easy this really is.

Kudos to you guys :lol:
Cheers from The Big Dog
www.lesnoiracochon.com
http://blog.lesnoiracochon.com

Where tasty things happen
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:02 am

Just watched the videos. They were really good and your daughters are very professional although the out take on the first one was really funny.
Nice videos, well done.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby porker » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:43 am

Yes ... Great video, I'll hopefully get making butter before the cream goes off !

Cheers

porker
Registered Member

Next

Return to Cookery in general