Fresh Pasta

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby saucisson » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:23 pm

Another vote for tins:

Easy Ravioli Tin

Dave :wink:
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:41 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby beardedwonder5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:17 pm

Heinz Ravioli is an excellent product for what it's worth.
GOS, yeah!!!
beardedwonder5
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:34 am

When I ran a large hostel the residents called it "Tea-bags on toast!" :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: Ravioli anyone?

Postby Heather » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:04 pm

Patty wrote:Hi - I wonder whether any of you have made ravioli? I tried my ravioli attachment (to my Atlas 150 machine) for the first time today.

We have, unfortunately not had much success with our ravioli attachment for our pasta machine either, but do have a ravioli tin we have used, which has worked well.

Strangely enough, I went on a teambuilding thingy at work where we went to an Italian cookery school, and we made ravioli starters for 12 people, simply using a piping bag to squeeze a blob of filling (spinach and ricotta in this case) onto a sheet of pasta, brushed the pasta with egg between the blobs, turned the pasta over on its length to cover the blobs up, taking care to not trap any air, and used a cutter to cut out the shapes - probably even easier than using the ravioli tin.

This weekend I plan to make ravioli with smoked salmon and ricotta, served with lemon butter and black pepper! Yum!
Heather
Registered Member

Postby folksworthfarmer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:13 pm

I may not have got to grips with sausages yet but pasta is definitely a favourite subject.
I tend to mix by hand on a slab of granite, partly because I enjoy it and partly because it is less hassle than washing up the bread maker/food processor etc.,
Never use bread flour, tried once and it is too "chewy" because of the high gluten content, I usually get a stash of 00 from the local italian shop where it is cheaper than the supermarket.
I don't have a problem with the operation of the ravioli attachment on my pasta machine but think they are too small, I prefer to use a couple of hand cutters, you roll a sheet of pasta, stick piles of filling in rows, brush with egg in between, lay another sheet of pasta on top and then use the cutters to punch out big parcels. I have round and square ones which I got in Italy but I'm sure they are available here or you can just use small scone cutters.
Possible reasons the ravioli is sticking is because the pasta is sticky, hang to dry a bit before using and dust lightly with flour. Or the filling could be making it wet, It is best used well chilled and I do find dryer fillings are easier to work with.
My next project is gnocchi in game sauce, eaten in a fantastic little restaurant somewhere at the bottom of the dolomites, unfortunately the chef doesn't speak English so I need to learn a bit more Italian to dry and find out his secret recipe!!
Got pigs now need to make sausages
folksworthfarmer
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:05 pm

I prefer to cut them myself. I do have a tray, but I find it quicker and easier to do the whole lot by hand.
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:54 pm

I have GOT to try Phil's rolls.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

free online pasta lesson

Postby BeijingBob » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:26 am

I have been watching people cook on youtube a lot and have found a bunch of good cooks that really teach great stuff. Chef Todd Mohr has a great series of videos on cooking theory.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMPmvFJi ... annel_page
this is show 95,it just goes into making the dough, the next several go into ravioli, fettuccine, gnocchi and colored pasta. Lots of great stuff there!
BeijingBob
Get out of my shop!
BeijingBob
Registered Member

Postby david1233 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:14 pm

Don�t' forget to cook the pasta sheets first if you are going to use it for Lasagne. Usually a couple of minutes will do.
not a lot of people know that, having previously used The commercial dry sheets. :)

I love to colour my pasta with beetroot or Blitz some baby spinach leaves and add to the pasta dough, the list is endless. try adding Italian herbs

I also make up a 6 hour itallian Pork recipe that I have been making for more years than I can rember. it was at a time when we where not very well off that I produced the recipe. The sauce is exelent with pasta, and it freezes well.
Regards

Dave
david1233
Registered Member

Postby beardedwonder5 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:47 am

(Apropo ravioli.) Try making a small amount of appropriately flavoured stock. Coffee filter it. Inject with canula. Works very well if you seal is perfect. The juicy burst is great. (I'm assuming a piece that will fit in your mouth whole - so that the juice doesn't just join the sauce on the plate.)

I haven't found a source of 100cc syringes. For 20's try your local "country store". Or Ebay.
GOS, yeah!!!
beardedwonder5
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:32 pm

There you go:

http://www.hydroponic-shop.com/product_ ... cts_id=824

That injected ravioli sounds like a brilliant idea BW :D

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby beardedwonder5 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:02 pm

Thanks for locating the 100ml site.
GOS, yeah!!!
beardedwonder5
Registered Member

Postby Dazzajapan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:18 am

teabags on toast... :lol:

I have fond memories of those in my school dinner as a young 'un in Yorks.About the ONLy thing I liked along with the blancmange.
Dazzajapan
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cookery in general