Fresh Pasta

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Fresh Pasta

Postby Mike D » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:03 pm

I found my old pasta m/c in the back of the cupboard today....anybody used strong bread flour for making pasta??...and can I use the breadmaker to mix and knead it??

Any other suggestions welcomed!!

I feel a slow cooked bolognaise sauce coming on :shock:
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby beardedwonder5 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:52 pm

I've often made pasta dough wth stong bread flour. I don't have a bread machine, but I understand that most of them allow you to interrupt the normal programme to make various non-loaf products. So interrupt. But then, after forming the dough into a ball, set it aside for half an hour to "relax" the gluten, (which is higher in bread flour than normal flour.) After that, it's the rolling pin or the pasta machine. Marcella Hazan (google) tells you how to do it with the rolling pin. Much easier with the machine.

If you become adept you can make a mind-blowing lasagna, just the opposite of clumpy lasagna made with store-bought pasta - whether dry or "fresh".

(N.b. if you become adept.)
GOS, yeah!!!
beardedwonder5
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:03 pm

Thanks for that BW5 - I only use the bread machine for mixing the dough anway...it is a bit useless for baking it - had too many bricks!

Do you have any quants for use??
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:12 pm

Mike

I use 2 eggs per 8oz flour. If it's too stiff I add (part or all of) an extra yolk. The only other thing I add is a pinch of salt. I'm of the 'no oil' camp!

I do it in the food processor, but it doesn't form into a ball, it just mixes it all up. I tip it out and bring it all together by hand. Wrap in clingfilm, put in fridge for at least 20 mins and use. Make sure to put each piece through your machine on the widest setting 2 or 3 times until it's really silky, before reducing the thickness.

HTH
Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Mike D » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:50 pm

Cheers Phil...

Taglietelle with bolognese sauce for tea tomorrow night!! (Just finished some of your soft rolls - well, not yours, but your recipe - house smells of warm bread !! :D :D :D :D )
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:11 pm

If you mention the rolls again I'll send the boys round - where do you think I got the pasta recipe from

Enjoy! :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:54 am

wheels wrote:If you mention the rolls again I'll send the boys round - where do you think I got the pasta recipe from

Enjoy! :lol:

This must be like an actor who got type cast in a certain role and cant get another job becasue everyone always thinks of them as that character. :lol: :lol: :lol: Mark Lester as Oliver springs to mind, now its Phil and his rolls..."we dont care what other stuff you've made...you'll be remembered for the rolls..." :lol: :lol:
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Do you mean those pappy hamburger type rolls that most people make their own bread to get away from? :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: Fresh Pasta

Postby Ianinfrance » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:04 pm

Hi
Mike D wrote:I feel a slow cooked bolognaise sauce coming on :shock:

Take what you like from this recipe. It's what we regularly cook.
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/souvigne/recipes/main54.htm
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:45 am

Thanks Ian for the recipe - but I started my sauce this morning and it slow cooked all day.

I did the pasta - a bit of a faff really, maybe I need to get a bit more practice. I put it through the fine grooved rollers on the pasta m/c and it looked more like noodles than spaghetti both when it went in and came out of the pan. Tasted great though - I did think the OH would pull her face, but no, she enjoyed it. I'll be doing it again.
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Postby beardedwonder5 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:05 am

The grooved rollers are difficult to use. Try letting the final plainly rolled piece dry out a bit. And use more loose flour than you think is sensible. The problems I have encountered stem from the strands sticking together. I womder if spag (the shape) only took off when the extrusion process took over.
GOS, yeah!!!
beardedwonder5
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:22 pm

My fine rollers aren't grooved they are square, so certainly don't produce "round" spaghetti. Still tastes the same :) If you believe the "experts" you wouldn't serve Tagliatelle con Rag� alla Bolognese with spaghetti anyway:) .

Dave :)
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Mike D » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:54 pm

My fine rollers are square too. I think I was expecting it to come out and like spag does when you buy a bag of 'fresh' pasta from supermarket.. :roll:
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Ravioli anyone?

Postby Patty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:13 am

Hi - I wonder whether any of you have made ravioli? I tried my ravioli attachment (to my Atlas 150 machine) for the first time today. The ravs got caught on the sharp metal fingers that are (I'm guessing) meant to guide the ravioli back toward the body of the machine before they spill out.

Quite a mess! I got about 18 ravioli out of an 8oz/2 egg batch of dough, but smooshed all the failures, together with a little more flour, and got a batch of very interesting fettucini out of it all, so not a waste, just not enough ravioli.

Patty.
Patty
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:47 pm

Patty

Ravioli tins are probably easier for quantities.

http://www.verynice2.com/imperia-italian-ravioli-tray-24-hole-and-rolling-pin.php
Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Cookery in general