Spice Weights

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby Ianinfrance » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:26 am

Hi Phil,

I certainly agree with you when it comes to salt and sugar. As for things which are very light and/or used in very small quantities, I think that using spoon measures is fine, especially for spices/herbs, where the worst that can happen is that your sausages or your cure is a bit over-spiced or under spiced. In the case of curing products, I think it's fine to use spoons as long as they are pre-calibrated and used consistently and meticulously.

Although one CAN perfectly well buy electronic scales accurate to 0.1g I find that with a tiny amount of mental effort, I can recalculate a cure mix to use exactly one british standard teaspoon (of the type I have) of - for example - saltpetre and therefore end up with a cure that is in exact proportions.

I'd no more use cups for measuring salt than I would for measuring beef or butter.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Re: Spice Weights

Postby GoldenEagle666 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi, I'm trying to download the Excel file but it's not loading up for me. Is there another location or would it be possible for Excel formulae to be put on the forum please?

Thanks Ken
GoldenEagle666
Registered Member

Re: Spice Weights

Postby wheels » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Which Excel file?
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Cookery in general