Pasties... a British meat pie?

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Pasties... a British meat pie?

Postby Chuckwagon » Sat May 16, 2009 3:26 am

Hi Folks, �Smokey Wagontrack� here� Chuckwagon�s wife. :wink: My neighbor fed me something called a �pastie�. It was wonderful and I just can�t settle down now. My lips are just about ready to smack my tonsils. She moved away and I didn�t get her recipe. Does anyone have the recipe for �pasties�� a British corned beef - potato - meat pie? I sure would appreciate any info you could send this way. Come to my kitchen and I�ll fix Dutch oven beef stew for you! Kindest Regards, Smokey Wagontrack (Mrs. Chuckwagon)
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it probably needs a little more time on the grill.
Chuckwagon
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Sat May 16, 2009 11:12 am

Ohh No, I can see the great: what goes in a pastie and how it should look debate comming on.... :lol:
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Sat May 16, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi Smokey Wagontrack, welcome. :lol:

My take on a pastie (pasty) is here. This one's the Cornish style. Cornwall being a County in the far SW of England.

There are other, probably less well known pasties, from other parts of the Country:

Devon - the County next to Cornwall - the pasty's basically the same but the crimp is on the top. They have been fighting with Cornwall since pasties were invented about whose was the first and best!

Bedfordshire Clanger - Sweet one end and savoury the other.

The Forfar Bridie - from Scotland.

..and many other places including Michigan.

Whether the Quorn Bacon Roll from my home County of Leicestershire (...and even here no-ones heard of it!) qualifies is debatable!

I hope this helps

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Big Guy » Sat May 16, 2009 12:50 pm

Here is what we call a pastie made with venison.

Pasties

Filling
2 lbs. Ground Venison
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 cup cooked peas
2 cups cooked cubed turnip (rutabaga)
salt/pepper to taste

Crust
3 cups flour
1 cup shortening
1 egg
1 � Tbs. Vinegar
� Tbs. Salt
water

Make pie crust, cut shortening into flour and salt, Set aside. Crack egg into measuring cup, and beat, add vinegar and enough water to bring volume up to 2/3 cup. Mix. Add egg mix to flour mix. Kneed into soft dough. Don�t over work or add too much flour.
Brown venison, onion and garlic in a little oil, drain fat. Add cooked peas and turnip, mix.
Cut dough into 12 pieces. Roll out pieces into 6-7� circles. Add � cup of meat and veggie mixture to the center of each piece. Moisten edges with water; fold over to form semi-circle and press edges together with a fork to seal. Pierce top to vent steam. Bake at 375 F for 20-30 minutes.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby robbie » Sat May 16, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi All,
Just brings back some memories of sitting at the side of the Fowey river, doing some fishing and munching on a hot Cornish pastie, I'm going to give the recipes a try, been meaning to for quite a while.
I had it firmly in my brain that lamb was used in the filling?, no idea why, also the pasties I remember were very spicy, could it be the amount white pepper is the culprit here?.

Robbie.
robbie
Registered Member

pasty pasties

Postby Chuckwagon » Sun May 17, 2009 6:32 am

Smokey Wagontrack here... (Mrs. Chuckwagon)
What a great bunch of folks here. Can you all come to Utah for dinner tomorrow night? Thank you for sharing. I'm going to make the Quorn bacon roll tomorrw and then Big Guy's pasty recipe. Thank you for taking the time to help others. What a great board!
Kindest Regards, RaNae
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it probably needs a little more time on the grill.
Chuckwagon
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general