Taco Burgers (pork)

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Taco Burgers (pork)

Postby vagreys » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:43 pm

I'm making a batch of these, today, and thought I'd pass the recipe along. The seasoning is not American-style taco seasoning. I'm using the seasonings that are typical for seasoning meat in Mexican homes. I serve these as burgers, with the expected taco toppings, like grated cheeses, onion, tomato, lettuce, sour cream, pico de gallo, fruit salsas, avocado slices, etc. This mixture is also good as a cased sausage. It could also be served with tortillas, pita, or as an uncased sausage like keftadakia.

1 1/4 pounds ground pork (80% lean)
1 teaspoon garlic, minced (about two cloves)
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano (about 2 tsp fresh)
1 scant teaspoon salt
3/8 teaspoon chili powder
3/8 teaspoon ground cumin

Mix in the seasonings, thoroughly. Allow the mixture to rest for 10 minutes or so, before forming patties and/or cooking.

I use a no-salt chili powder blend that does not contain cloves. When I want to step it up, I use a top-quality varietal chili powder that contains nothing but powdered chili. There are some fine ancho and smoked ancho chili powders available. A little cayenne is good if you want to add some kick. I have also sometimes added a little Chipotle Tabasco to the mix.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Return to Cookery in general