Roasted chicken not cooked through

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby poppikin » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:23 am

I roasted a chicken as I have many times before and left it to stand for ten minutes. I went back to it when it was cool and was horrified to find it had not cooked through and was dripping in blood underneath.

Putting cooled/cold chicken back in the oven or putting it in the microwave both make it greasy

My question is what to do and I'd be grateful for some help.

poppikin
poppikin
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:54 pm

Cut the chicken into portions and cook further in a sauce?
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby poppikin » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:13 pm

Thanks wheels.

Have you a sauce in mind?

I suppose I really was hoping that someone had an idea how to roast or grill if further without making it greasy.

The hungry mouths prefer roast type meals to sauces.

Thanks
poppikin
Last edited by poppikin on Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
poppikin
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:17 pm

Cut into portions, steam it until it is cooked through, put under the grill for a few minutes to crisp up the skin. It should keep nice and moist and not become greasy.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby poppikin » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:25 pm

Very good idea but how would you steam it Jen?

Thanks

poppikin
poppikin
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:32 pm

If you don't have a steamer you could put the meat in a collander (metal) over a saucepan of boiling water with a saucepan lid over the meat. Keep on a simmer until you are happy it is cooked, it shouldn't take long. Don't let the pan boil dry.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby poppikin » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:38 pm

Thanks Jen

No, I don't have a steamer and for me that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I think I'd probably be safer with wheels' sauce?

poppikin
poppikin
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:47 pm

Have you a sauce in mind?

Financiere sauce is nice.

Make a veloute sauce - that's the same as a standard white (flour/butter milk), or bechamel, sauce but made with chicken stock instead of milk.

Fry mushrooms and add to sauce along with green olives and strips of ham and any mushroom juices. Add a little double cream and Madeira then season with salt pepper and lemon juice to taste. Cook gently for 5 - 10 minutes to combine the flavours.

Some tomato paste fried with the mushrooms will add more colour.

Of course, you can make your own variations - tongue, capers, herbs, tomato etc.

Hope this helps

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:18 pm

This is a technique I use when I am cooking for a crowd and have limited time on-loocation to cook. I cook the chickens to just underdone, a day in advance, usually on the charcoal rotisserie, and then finish them on-site. they do not come out greasy. Yours sounded more than a little underdone.

I try to use 4-lb birds for uniformity in serving, so you may need to adjust, slightly. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place the whole chicken back side down, uncovered, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for about 15-20 minutes to re-crisp the skin and to heat through without overcooking. Reduce the heat to 350°F, remove the bird and check for doneness. If it is still underdone, place it back in the 350°F oven and check it every 5 minutes, until the desired degree of doneness is achieved.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby poppikin » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:22 am

Thanks vagreys

That sounds an excellent technique.

My chicken is as you say more than a little underdone and the hungry mouths feel it would be safest made into a casserole but I don't have a much loved recipe for this.

Can anyone help please?

Some of our favourite ingedients are wine (red & white), brandy, garlic, thyme, cream, bacon and shallots......

poppikin
poppikin
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:28 am

Why not use the recipe for Rabbit with cider and mustard casserole HERE
and substitute the rabbit with the chicken. I have done it loads of times and it is superb

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Chuckwagon » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:08 am

OK Poppi, Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and pat them dry. Sprinkle them with a little cornstarch, paprika, black pepper, and salt, then toss them into a wok or large saucepan half-full of peanut oil heated to 176 degrees (C.) That's 350 degrees Fahrenheit for those of us who must drive on the RIGHT side of the road! When the little nuggets turn golden brown, just force yourself to choke them down! I like them with a few English "chips" as long as I have the oil heated.

These chicken nuggets go great with some suds, so I usually hold my sixgun on my partner Bad Bob while he downs a cold beer. Then I hand him the gun to hold on me while I down a cold one.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it probably needs a little more time on the grill.
Chuckwagon
Registered Member

Postby JamesEB » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:51 pm

Casserole?
JamesEB
Newly Registered

Return to Cookery in general