Ox Heart Ideas?

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Ox Heart Ideas?

Postby morlan75 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:47 am

Was'nt sure where to post but I Roast a stuffed Ox Heart for dinner last night :D and I've got half left over any Ideas to what I could do with it? I was thinking perhaps experimenting and trying to make Pate out of it maybe?
Any other ideas/recipe suggestions?

Thanx
Jeni
x
ImageImage
morlan75
Registered Member

Postby Chuckwagon » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:43 am

Hi Jeni,
There are actually a few sausages in which the meat must be cooked before the sausage is stuffed into casings. Most of the time, these recipes include blood or organs that have something to do with blood such as liver, heart, etc. One in particular is a Hungarian Rice Sausage sausage my French Aunt used to make for my English mother. If your ox heart hasn’t been exposed to high heat for a prolonged period (drying the meat), it should be ok to place in Hungarian Rice Sausage. Try making 5 lbs. to begin with. If you have 2-1/2 pounds of the heart and it is still moist, grind it (cold) through a 3/16” plate then place it back in your refrigerator while you assemble the remaining ingredients:

Hungarian Rice Sausage

2-1/2 lbs. heart (cooked and refrigerated)
1-1/4 lbs. pork liver
1 lb. uncooked short-grained rice
1 cup water
2 tblspns. uniodized salt
1-1/2 tspns. coarse ground black pepper
½ tspn. ground marjoram
½ tspn. ground nutmeg
1 tblspn. Hungarian smoked paprika
1 white onion
1 tspn. Prague Powder #1

My wife prefers the jasmine scented rice from Thailand - available at the Asian grocery. Cook the rice according to its package directions but only until it is barely tender. Set it aside to cool. Cook the pork liver in simmering water three minutes to make a light broth. Do not boil the water and don’t overcook the liver. Refrigerate it to cool before grinding it through a ¼” plate. When the broth has cooled, add it to the ground heart and mix in the ground liver. Finally, mince the onions and fry them over low heat in a little fat - just until they are light brown. When everything has been completely cooled, mix the sausage with the remaining ingredients until a sticky meat paste develops. If the mixture is too dry, add a little broth. Stuff the mixture into 42 m.m. hog casings and place links into hot (170°F.) water to cook. When the meat registers 150°F., (after about one hour) remove the links and rinse them with cold water. Continue to cool the links by placing them into a container of ice and water. When the meat cools enough to register 40°F., refrigerate the sausages 24 hours, allowing them to bloom and dry. Hungarian rice sausage is not smoked. Use it within three days or freeze the remainder.
Hey Jeni, in your avatar… who is kissing whom?
Best Wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it probably needs a little more time on the grill.
Chuckwagon
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:45 am

I can heartily recommend these:

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=3615

Dave :D
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Zulululu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi Chuck, Just check out how Oddleys avatar reacted. Hey Jeni, in your avatar… who is kissing whom? (Chatter ,Greetings all) :lol: :lol:
No one knows more than all of us.
Zulululu
Registered Member

Postby morlan75 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:06 am

Thanks for those great ideas guys! picking my casings up today, minced up the heart yesterday so all set for experimenting later :D

Zulululu wrote:… Hey Jeni, in your avatar who is kissing whom? (Chatter ,Greetings all) :lol: :lol:

Erm... That u'd be me... and the BF lol... :oops:
ImageImage
morlan75
Registered Member

Postby Zulululu » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:34 pm

Hi Jeni,
Think your avatar is cute and enjoy your posts.Can only dream of doing what you have done stepping out of the rat race.My wife and I make a lot of our own things like most on the forum.Our friends can"t understand where we get the time to do this, simple stop sitting infront of the box and eating garbage you have plenty of time and eat good food.
Welcome to the forum from Zululand. :)
No one knows more than all of us.
Zulululu
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general