Jam Making...

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby Mike D » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm hoping to go and get some sloes in the next couple of weeks. I'll probably do some raspberry vodka too! :shock:

What I like to do is go to Tesco, put about 6 or 8 bottles of gin in the trolley along with some nappies and baby food. Go to the till and let the cashier total everything up. You then say that you don't have enough cash for the lot, and then proceed to remove the baby food and nappies, but let the gin go through. The faces on the other customers watching in the queue behind you...well, you can guess. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Postby dbairduk » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:01 am

The damson are definatly on their way out. Sloes were plentiful and looking good last week. Blackberrys have been a bit disapointing this year round me.

I am on the lookout for some cheap gin at the moment... also been looking for some hamper baskets to make a few up for christmas presents this year. Containing damson chutney, sloe & damson jam. Sloe gin... and possibly a slab of salt beef if I master curing by then. Will need to get the salt beef vac packed though somehow.

It amazes me how much smaller kilner teerien jars go for. I am using 0.5l glass clip tops at the moment. £1.69 from somerfield. Now all the 350ml glass clip tops seem to be alot more than that.
dbairduk
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:13 am

The council have just cut down and burnt "my" sloe trees on the local playing fields :evil: Now I need a new supply :cry:

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Mike D » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:30 am

There are some sloe's about 1/2 mile from me, but they are next to a very busy road so I don't use them as they may pick up some of the exhaust fumes. However, I found some great ones in Dentdale in Yorkshire, so we make a day of it; have some pub lunch in Dent, walk over to the Sloe trees, collect what we need and then stroll back to the car and home. Happy Days! :lol:
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Postby dbairduk » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:45 am

we are just in the ribble valley if you want any Mike.
dbairduk
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:28 pm

Ribble Valley is a lot closer...gives more time to call in The Three Fishes or Inn at Whitewell!! :lol: :lol:
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Postby dbairduk » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:43 pm

we were up chipping way last night, dog & partidge

Love the Three Fishes :lol:

Well give me a shout if you want to nip over and grab a few. I am just outside Ribchester.

If you like your steak there is a great steak pub owned by carefoots butchers in longridge. The duke william, and it's just up the road. Infact I could reel off the good eating places round here lol

Dave
--------

Dave
dbairduk
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:08 pm

Just spotted they left one high overhanging branch intact :D Now to try and harvest them without breaking a leg...
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Cookery in general