Chili and Salt chicken wings

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Chili and Salt chicken wings

Postby johnfb » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:19 am

I had chicken wings with chili and salt on them in a chinese restaurant last week and thought they were delicious.
Does anyone have the ratio breakdown of salt to chili in this recipe or is it just a case of trial and error to find it.
Thanks
John
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:27 am

Hey John, Give this a try. The basic recipe is Martin Yan’s but I fine-tuned it to the western palate and call it “Bull Shipper’s Chicken Spit Hit”. Mince 3 or 4 cloves of garlic and find 4 small dried red chilies and set them aside. Place a teaspoon of cornstarch into a couple of tablespoons of cold water. The water must be cold or the starch won’t dissolve. Stir it well then set it aside. Par-bake the wings in a 335°F. oven for twenty minutes while you make a “Bull Shippers Chicken Spit Sauce”:

3 tblspns. balsamic vinegar
1 tblspn. soy sauce
1 tblspn. dry-sherry (Winston Churchill’s favorite)
2 tspns. sugar
2 tspns. chili sauce
1 tspn. sesame oil

In a wok over high heat, add 2 tblspns. of cooking oil (use peanut oil if you have it), and add the chilies and the garlic. Flavor the oil by stirring them only about ten seconds. If you like hot, hot, spicy food, then crack open the chilies before you add them to the oil. Make sure you don’t burn the garlic or it will taste bitter. Next, remove the garlic and chilies, add the chicken wings, and stir-fry them for a full minute in the hot oil. Remove them from the oil, and place them on a platter, sprinkling them with your favorite salt. Add the sauce ingredients to the hot wok and bring them to boil lightly. Stir the cornstarch in the water again and add it to the sauce as you continue stirring. The sauce will thicken when the starch water reaches the boiling point. Remove the sauce and pour it over the wings.

Now, if you’re cooking over a campfire, don’t squat down with your spurs on! And just one more bit of advice… never, ever, slap a man chewing tobacco!

Enjoy the salted wings my friend. Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it probably needs a little more time on the grill.
Chuckwagon
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:59 pm

Thanks a lot Chuckwagon, looks like a keeper for the old recipe file. 8)
johnfb
Global Moderator

Phil's English cousin

Postby Chuckwagon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:07 am

Hey John, I know you're Irish but I have to tell you a true story about Phil's cousin in England... Winston Churchill. It seems one evening he had a bit too much dry sherry and some old temperate bat told him he was drunk and disgusting. Handling the situation in an appropriate manner of a true gentleman, he simply said, "Yes madame, I am. And you are an extremely homely woman... but at least I will be sober in the morning!"
True story. Thought you'd like a chuckle tonight. Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it probably needs a little more time on the grill.
Chuckwagon
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:19 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Sweetcure » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:22 am

Hey Chuckwagon, Churchill actually said UGLY not homely . Thought you would like to know.
Sweetcure
Registered Member

Postby Chuckwagon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:45 am

Thanks Sweetcure,
I'm a Yank, a few miles removed from your beautiful country, and I believe the story has been told many times and changed just a smidge before it arrived here. I have nothing but respect for Churchill. He suffered from Bi-polar disorder as I do. Yet, his leadership through World War II remains exemplary.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general