Easy Gammon joint with cider and honey

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Easy Gammon joint with cider and honey

Postby Bangermuncher » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:49 am

Back in the early 80's a mate gave me this simple recipe and it's worked every time since.
Forgive me,I don't do weights and measurements,I can only cook by eye as my Great Gran taught me when I was a kid in the 60's(she was around in Queen Victorias time!)and I can't speak metric!
The recipe is so simple,no poncy stuff.
I've always done it with a smoked joint as that's my preference but it will work with an unsmoked joint,just a matter of personal taste.

I base it on 25-30 minutes per pound(+30 mins)but it depends on your oven.

One good quality Gammon joint,smoked/unsmoked,any size you like.

Place in cold water(no need to soak)and bring to the boil.
Simmer covered for half the recommended cooking time.

While it's simmering slowly heat some clear honey and cider in a saucepan,NOT the non alcoholic American apple cider,I use Merrydown Dry or whatever local Kentish/Sussex cider I happen to be partaking of at the time and still enables my legs to work.
1 for the pot and as much for the cook as you like 8)
Your cider and honey should thicken slightly on the hob but don't reduce it too much.

Remove from pan and remove the rind(I tend to leave as much fat as possible but that's just me)

Score the fat as per usual and place in a roasting tin.

Pour over some of the cider and honey and bake in a medium oven for the remaining cooking time.

I don't cover it with foil at all,I leave it open in the oven and baste regularly with the cider and honey mix,when it gets too thick I add more from the saucepan.

When the meat is done I just let it rest while I add the remaining cider and honey to the roasting tin and reduce a little to make a sauce.

I serve it hot with mashed spuds and green veg.
The cider and honey make an excellent sauce.

Cold it's outstanding!
Especially with Bubble&Squeak and pickles.

Andy
Bangermuncher

Return to Cookery in general