Turkey how do you cook it

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby Oddley » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:04 pm

I don't know if any of you have been watching Jamie Oliver's family Christmas, but he has a really good gravy recipe. I have already made it and it's in the freezer, just add it to the Turkey juices and that's the gravy done.

If anybody wants it say and I'll post it.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:31 pm

Is it the one I think I saw where he made a sort of veloute 'sauce' using stock from roasted chicken wings?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Oddley » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:54 pm

Yeah, that's the one tastes really good.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Nutczak » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:58 pm

Are turkeys native to the UK? Or have they been introduced as a wild population at all? or do you guys just get the commercially raised domesticated birds?

There is the flavor of a domesticated turkey, and then there is the Wild Turkey. Although they do have a similar shape when dressed, I think the comparison ends there.

I was lucky enough to get chosen for a turkey permit a few years back, and eating that bird put a whole new perspective to the flavor of turkey and what it is supposed to taste like. Imagine the flavor of turkey, but concentrated to a stronger level.
Nutczak
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi Nutczak
As you thought, turkeys are native to America. In the UK they only get the introduced domestic type. That said, an organic Bronze (don't ask) Turkey isn't bad eating. Not as good as most game, but many people in the UK don't like game, finding it too strong.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Unfortunately, I have never tasted wild Turkey. Apart from escapees, I don't think there is much of a wild population in the UK.

There are levels of commercial birds, going from frozen shrink wrapped bog standard, too fresh organic Norfolk bronze. I myself tend to spend a bit on the Turkey, because I believe you can taste the difference.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:55 pm

Is the Norfolk Black distinct from the Norfolk Bronze?

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby tinca » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:56 am

Well theres a few ideas to play with, dont normally remove legs or wings, but never stuff the arse of the bird for reasons given, most of the time the turkey comes out ok , not brilliant but good enough to say that wernt bad :D is moist but with turk its always tough for a bird, not like chicken, if tough is the right word for it.Going to knock up some butter this morning after my attempt at pork pie last night :? pastry was a bitch, but got there in the end :D sausage rolls and scotch eggs are awaiting my hands to today, going to pop down to my local fishery tomorrow and have some mulled wine, beer and take along some goodies to eat and be merry :lol: :lol: cant fish its frozen over :cry:
Gaz
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE :D
tinca
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:45 am

tinca wrote:Thanks for yer input , but we are British and since Cromwell died we dont spit roast that often now :lol: :lol:
Now youve got me thinking :shock: can i use my smoker and turn it into a spit roaster :twisted: Sorry the wife would go mad, and its bloody cold outside and if i cock it up , the shame would be too much :oops:
Merry Christmas over there Chuckwagon.......Gaz

Honestly, turning the bird every 15 minutes in the oven makes a remarkable difference, keeping the juices distributed and the entire bird moist. I use that oven technique when I can't spit roast outside. Brining does great things for turkeys, as others have pointed out. Happy holidays, whatever you do.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Nutczak » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:02 am

Bummer that you guys do not have a huntable wild turkey population?

This is a picture of the last turkey I shot, it weighed 23 pounds, had a 9" beard and 7/8ths" spurs.
I wish there was some way to trade different food items between you guys and us living in the states.

ImageImage
Nutczak
Registered Member

Postby Wal Footrot » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:53 am

Any poultry that is roasted needs to moist both inside and out. Traditional stuffings make the bird dry from the inside and this spreads from the inside in the cooking process resulting in dry meat. What happens is the stuffing draws the moisture from the bird from the inside. The bigger the bird (goose, turkey) the more it will dry out.

Cooking time is also vital and a slower time usually works out best. This is where the charcoal Weber reigns supreme. A good wood range will also get the results. Using a Weber I would expect a cooking time in excess of 6 hours. Done slowly like this it is very hard to overcook the bird. If you stuff the carcass with citrus fruit (lemons and limes) plus a some herbs you will get a great result. You can also do this in your oven but you have to remember to keep on turning the temperature down. Just starting slow is not enough. The initial high temp of the Weber seals the bird (and keeps the juices in) and it gradually drops in temperature to maintain this.
Wal Footrot
Wal Footrot
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cookery in general