Don't Eat Your Horse - He won't trust you any longer!

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby Ianinfrance » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:26 pm

To be honest, I've seen almost as many recipes for horse meat from Belgium as from France and even more in Germany

Dave, I'm astonished that you found horsemeat on sale cheaper than beef. when I bought some not so long ago, from a "boucherie chevaline" in the market, it was about 30% more expensive than the equivalent beef cuts - comparing like for like in terms of quality.

We made some sauerbraten from horse, thinking that the marinading process (vinegar etc) would balance out the sweetness that people say they find in horsemeat. It was fine, though not - in my view - good enough to justify the price differential.

At the risk of grossing out our country cousins, here are two useless snippets. I'm told that it makes the very best steak tartare, and that horse fat is the very best frying medium for chips. Not that I've tried either.

In this area, we quite often see a few horses in a field that are never ridden and I've usually presumed they were being raised for the pot. Having seen (on TV last night) the way in which pigs are raised industrially, I know which I would prefer to eat.

Why is it repugnant to kill and eat an animal that's so stupid that it will let you mount it, dig spurs into it and ride it, while it's acceptable to maltreat the most intelligent domestic animal we raise? We are an odd species, we humans.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cookery in general