Nando's Peri-Peri sauce

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Nando's Peri-Peri sauce

Postby lemonD » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:49 pm

We took the family to Nando's for the first time at xmas, a simple concept chicken and chips however the sauce made it for me.
Since then I've done spatchcocked chicken 3 times using their sauce but at £2.33 for a very small bottle I'm now looking for a recipe.
Do any of you guys have a TRIED recipe that's as good or better?
I've found plenty of recipes trawling the net for piri-piri/peri-peri sauces but I want to cut-out the hassle of sorting the wheat from the chaff?

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby Chuckwagon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:17 am

Hi LemonD.
Are you nuts? That stuff is hotter than a firecracker! Here’s a tried n’ true recipe by the well-known Steve Raichlen. He got it in West Africa and uses the real piri-piri chili. Folks here just use the Scotch Bonnet to kill their taste buds!

1 clove garlic, minced
½ tspn. coarse salt
1 or 2 Tblspns. finely chopped red chili peppers
1 Tblspn. Dijon mustard
¼ cup white wine venegar
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil (Portuguese)

Mash the garlic and salt with the back of a spoon. Add chilies and continue. Add mustard and then the vinegar a little at a time. Whisk in the oil and continue to beat the mixture as it thickens slightly.

Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it probably needs a little more time on the grill.
Chuckwagon
Registered Member

Postby Zulululu » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi LemonD,
Here is a link for a recipe that I posted. http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... ght=#10556 If you baste it with some diluted tomatoe sauce towards the end you will get a nice red colour.
Regards.
No one knows more than all of us.
Zulululu
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general