Pork pie

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby welsh wizard » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:18 am

Sorry Oddley, I forgot - your idea re egg washing the inside of the pastry souds logical and I will give that a go and let you know.

Thanks WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:04 pm

Hi WW
How long are you cooking the pie for & at what temperature as it seems that insufficient cooking could be the problem here

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:23 pm

Hi Sausagemaker.

The little pies (muffin size) get about 30 mins and the 8" one gets c1 hour at a start temp of 200 degrees for the first 10 - 15 mins and then down to c160. Therefore the muffin size get 10 - 15 min @ 200 and then 15 min at c 160.

The insides on both are well cooked.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby shanew » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:56 am

i tried the melton mowbry recipe a while ago, i thought it was over spiced, the over powering flavour of mace and thyme spoiled it in my opinion
Save the enviroment, we cant afford to loose more animals, what will we use for variety in sausges, i for one would have liked a dodo banger!
shanew
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:59 pm

Hi WW

I think you may need to bake the large pie longer try for a further 30 minutes as you say the inside is OK so it is just the pastry that needs to be cooked.
This type of paste generally does need a long time due to the amount of fat & the thickness of the paste.
If you are a bit afraid that the top will darken too much cover this with a piece of double thickness grease proof paper

Hope this helps
Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby pokerpete » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:23 am

shanew wrote:i tried the melton mowbry recipe a while ago, i thought it was over spiced, the over powering flavour of mace and thyme spoiled it in my opinion

I've been looking at the traditional Melton Mowbray pork pie for a few weeks now trying to find a few wrinkles. It is apparent that the home team want the word banned unless it is actually produced in the environs.
The meat is uncured pork, and hand is used.
The only additives are salt and pepper (white I presume) it seems that it's better to let the mix rest overnight in the fridge.
As the pork is chopped pork, I've decided to put my extra sharp chinese chopper to one side, and have ordered a mezzaluna to do the chopping. That way I won't get bits flying about.
It should also be useful for chopping up small pieces to make faggots more chunky.
pokerpete
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:04 am

Thanks SM, I am going to try and produce some more pies this week and will leave the 8" in for a lilttle longer.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby royt » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:48 pm

I have the following pork pie recipe if anyone wants to try it out.

Plain flour 450g
Egg yolk 1
Lard 175g diced
Milk 100ml (4 fl oz)
Lean pork 900g cut into 1/2cm dice
Bacon rashers 3 finely chopped
Fresh Sage 1 teaspoon finely chopped
Fresh thyme 1 teaspoon finely chopped
Anchovy Essence 1 teaspoon
Ground Mace half teaspoon
Allspice ground half teaspoon
Chicken stock 1 pint (600ml)
Egg 1 beaten to glaze
Gelatine 15g

Make the pastry as normal for pork pies
Mix pork,bacon,herbs anchovy essence and spices and moisten with 3 tablespoons of stock
Bake for 20 minutes at 200 deg C or gas mark6 in a pre heated oven then reduce heat to 180 deg C gas mark 4 for 2 1/2 hrs then remove and brush with the beaten egg and put it back in the oven for another 10 or so minuutes to glaze

When cold, heat up the stock and gelatine in a saucepan and pour into the pie through a hole in the pastry lid

The anchovy essence will give that tangy taste
royt
Registered Member

Postby Ken Boy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:06 pm

Hi
Just made two Pork & apricot pie's using the hot pastry method that Paul Kribs recomended. It turn out just right I Used two of those metal tins that those traveling sweet's come in you can purchase at the any motorway services station. they were ideal moulds for 500gms of pork mix handful of chopped apricots salt ,pepper to taste, cooked them for 15mins at 180 then Brushed complete pie with beaton egg mix then cooked 45 mins at 150
when they cooled down 1 hr later added pork stock mix with geletine in
through hole in pie let them cool down over night in fridge
I had one for my tea tonight best pork pie I have ever tasted . :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ken boy
Ken Boy
Registered Member

Postby porker » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:28 am

Thats done it.....I'm gonna have to try these!

:D
porker
Registered Member

Postby Ken Boy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:03 pm

HI Question re- hot pastry
Would it Be ok to make up the pastry and form the pie mould the night before and place it in the chiller ready for use the next day. I know I would have to knock up some pastry the next day for the lids. Just like to know if this would work out ok any help on this question would be welcome :?: :?:
Ken boy
Ken Boy
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:09 pm

Hi Ken Boy

Yes you can make up the pastry the night before as you stated.
The idea of the pastry being made with the hot water & lard is to cook the flour before baking so it is not necessary to use it immediately

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Ken Boy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:01 pm

Thanks Sausagemaker
Thinking of trying out a turkey & ham pie this week but the time I get in from work and have me dinner the evening has gone so now I can make the pie over two evening's cheers :lol: :lol:
Ken boy
Ken Boy
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:19 pm

Finally got round to trying a Pork Pie, used Pauls recipe for pastry on his Dolly link, but doubled it up, didnt quite need all the liquid to flour tho, rolled out to about 4mm and moulded around a 3 inch glass, pastry was still very pliable but held when taken off mould, meat mix was silmilar to Pauls but used Francos sage & onion mix with Pork, Bacon and anchovy essence, slapped a ball of meat into the pastry case, lid on and crimped, very rough and ready and baked to his settings and give an extra 10 mins. For first go, they came out really well, pastry just right, any softness inside was the fat from the meat mix not uncooked pastry, gonna try ones with pickle in next or dried fruit such as apricots, maybe a bit of chilli and onion relish.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:09 am

You know, I feel like a real git for having started this thread over a year ago, but not having made any yet! I think i'll be doing so soon. Using a glass as a make-shift dolly sounds like a good idea :)
aris
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Cookery in general