Pork pie

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby aris » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:41 pm

Oddley wrote:Thanks WW and Fricandeau, If it makes a more savoury flavour then the next time I make a pork pie, I will definitely mash a couple of anchovies into paste and add them.

Oddley - you can buy anchovy paste in little tubes - it is a bit cheaper (and easier) than mashing up whole anchovies.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:44 pm

Thanks aris I'll keep an eye out.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:30 pm

:lol: , I've just found anchovy essence for sale at an expat web site:

http://www.xpatshop.co.uk/product.asp?d ... 4&sku=5428

Shall I order a crate :) ?

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Fricandeau » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:01 pm

I suspect that Thai fish sauce would do the job as well (or MSG :cry: ).
Vegetarian food: fine as a side.
Vegetarians: not bad, but they don't crisp up very well.
Vegans: should go back to Vega.
Fricandeau
Registered Member

Postby Robert H » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:59 pm

I used Paul Kribb's recipe for the quantities of meat and pastry. For seasoning I used Franco's basic sausage seasoning, I added some white pepper, a few gratings of nutmeg and anchovy paste. For the jelly I used an Oxo vegetable stock cube and gelatine.

Robert H
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:02 pm

Hi Robert, Pie looks good how did the jelly turn out as I didnt use any but do like a little bit in a pie, and gelatine seems an easy way to quickly make some
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Patricia Thornton » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:31 am

Now you have all mastered Paul's gret pork pie recipe, what about trying a Scotch pie? The pies all look wonderful so a Scotch pie will be a doddle for you all.

Ingredients for 6 small pies.

8oz hot water crust
1lb of lean lamb (mutton is better)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
6 tablespoons of stock or gravy
A little egg yolk

Prepare pastry using 8oz flour.

Use 2/3rds of your pastry make 6 small pie cases, I use use a well floured small jam jar. Cut meat into small pieces and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Fill pie cases with the meat mixture and moisten each pie with one tablespoon of the stock or gravy. Make lids and moisten the edges with a little cold water, place on pies and press the edges together firmly, trim to neaten. Make a small hole in centre of each pie to let the steam out and brush the top with a little of the beaten egg yolk.

Bake pies in a pre-heated oven (190C or 375F) for 30 to 40 minutes.

I like these served piping hot for dinner but my husband also likes them cold.
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:28 am

Patty

I have made offal pies in the past and they turned out very nicely, quite similar to Scotch Pies.

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=1043&highlight=offal+pie

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Patricia Thornton » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:41 am

They look as good as your pork pies but, tell me Paul, do you knit as well?

No, don't tell me .......................... only in your spare time!
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:40 pm

I don't know but he has a nice worktop, it looks strangely familiar:

saucisson
Site Admin

Anchovy

Postby wallie » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:38 pm

I use the anchovy puree, it is sold in tubes in lots of supermarkets.
I get mine as Sainsburys.
wallie
wallie
Registered Member

Postby royt » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:23 pm

My First attempt at a Pork Pie! it turned out a bit rustic :?
royt
Registered Member

Postby culinary bear » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:54 pm

First post, so be kind!

A few months ago I managed to get my stuff together for a pork pie venture.

A 3lb piece of belly pork. I removed the skin - mmm, nipply - and cut out the rib and feather bones.

----------------

The bones and two split trotters went into a cast-iron roasting dish and in the oven to brown off. I like brown jelly, y'see.

----------------

I cut about a quarter of the lean pork (all the intercostal flesh and some of the belly istelf) into rough cubes, and chopped the rest. I did it in two batches. One tip - it's worthwhile spending the time cutting the belly pork into small cubes before starting to chop it, as it really cuts down the time needed to reduce it to the desired consistency.

----------------

The cubed pork and chopped pork were mixed with pepper, nutmeg, salt and a little anchovy paste before being set aside in the fridge.

----------------

The roasted trotters and bones, with the mirepoix for stock in the green pot in the background.

----------------

I deglazed the roasting tray with a little water, and set the stock on the go.
culinary bear
Registered Member

Postby culinary bear » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:55 pm

I put the lard, water and salt on the stove to boil, and measured out the flour.

----------------

Mixing the pastry.

----------------

Being careful not to knead the pastry too much, I formed it into a ball and left it to rest for a while.

----------------

150g of pastry for each pie, moulded over a greased jamjar (I knew that trip to Lakeland last year would prove useful). I put them in the fridge to harden up.

----------------

Getting the cases off the jars was a problem, until I hit upon the idea of filling the jars part way with hot water and gently easing the cases off. There were a few cracks, and plastering them over with warm dough seemed a bit tricky. Would they hold when they went in the oven? I put the filling in, and mounded it over the tops.

----------------

I patted out five circles of dough at 100g each. I thought the best course of action at this point would be to smooth the tops on to the cases, rather than crimping the edges together - I was none too optimistic that the cases would hold by this point, and I raised a 'false' rim around the edge of the tops. It's normal to eggwash at this stage, but I erred on the side of caution and got them straight in the oven. I eggwashed after half and hour, and lo and behold, they held. The cases firmed up nicely and even after only half and hour's cooking, they felt quite robust.
culinary bear
Registered Member

Postby culinary bear » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:59 pm

I left them without being jellied, and let them cool overnight. I wrapped the sides in clingfilm, reheated the jelly and poured it in.

The 'clingfilm around the sides" method seemed to have worked well - I didn't see any leakage at all.

The pastry seemed to be very crisp a couple of hours after taking them out of the oven, but in the intervening twelve or so hours it seemed to be softening a little, and becoming more like the expected pork pie texture. When you consider that most pies we buy have been wrapped in greaseproof for at least a good few days then this makes sense.

One of the cooked pies before filling with jelly.

----------------

Sides wrapped in cling film, and filled with jelly.

----------------

I was a little bit too eager and cut this one open while the jelly wasn't fully set... but here's the money shot :

The pastry is still a little hard on the outside but that worked itself out over the next day or so. The filling is moist, slightly crumblier than a shop-bought pie (possibly becuase it's been hand-chopped and not minced) and pleasingly, seems to have retained a pinkish blush.
culinary bear
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cookery in general