Pate

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Pate

Postby Kooper » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:27 pm

Hello everyone,
I am going to try my first Pate on the weekend. Does anyone know how well it will freeze. The recipe I have says it will make 3lbs of pate and that seems like a lot to eat in a week.

Thanks for your help,
Kooper
Kooper
Newly Registered

Postby grisell » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:17 pm

My experience says no freezing. It can get granulous and slimy. See it as an emergency measure. On the other hand I think it will keep well for up to two-three weeks if it is covered with jelly or fat and your fridge is cold enough.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:56 pm

If you use cure/nitrite/saltpetre in an appropriate amount (as for sausages) it will get a very beautiful color and better taste. It will also help in preservation.
grisell
Registered Member

Re: Pate

Postby BriCan » Mon May 31, 2010 12:13 am

Kooper wrote:Hello everyone,
I am going to try my first Pate on the weekend. Does anyone know how well it will freeze.

There are two answers to this. :lol: If you keep it clean i.e. meat and spices; then the answer is yes. If on the other hand you add fillers, binders, phosphates and such then yes 'you will' have a problem.:cry:

I have and do freeze Pate/liver sausage without any problem.

Kooper wrote: The recipe I have says it will make 3lbs of pate and that seems like a lot to eat in a week.

You could have invited us all over for a sampling. :lol:
BriCan
Registered Member

Re: Pate

Postby Ianinfrance » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:05 pm

Hi Kooper
Kooper wrote:Hello everyone,
I am going to try my first Pate on the weekend. Does anyone know how well it will freeze. The recipe I have says it will make 3lbs of pate and that seems like a lot to eat in a week.

Thanks for your help,
Kooper

I make a lot of paté. I have frozen it, but I'm afraid I don't agree that it goes slimy, though it does lose some of its texture certainly.

Grisell is on the right lines, IMO, but there is one thing he says that is positively misleading IMO. Jelly covering a pate does nothing to preserve it, I'm afraid. However, if you make your patés in several dishes, and weight them down while they are cooling, you should find that you can then run about 1 cm of pork lard over the top once set. Then smooth some foil over the top of the fat. They should then keep in a cold fridge for a good fortnight. If you want them to keep longer, without freezing, you can pour OFF the jelly while still warm, then fill the gaps with melted lard and again weight to cool. Finally cover again with a good cm of melted lard & foil. Your pate should then keep for up to a month in the fridge. If you use some cure #1 in place of about 1/10th of the salt, and vacuum pack your fat covered paté, it should keep even longer.

Sorry to have come here a bit too late. But - next time.

If you're interested, here's my paté recipe - for a LOT more than 3 lbs - I can mine in tins.
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/souvigne/re ... art480.htm
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:22 pm

I have to say that I agree fully with Ian on this one. That's the traditional way of keeping any potted meat for storage and has stood the test of time.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby mattwright » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:54 pm

I agree with Ian. I make a good deal of pate and rillette, and have found a couple of weeks in the fridge is OK - but certainly remove any of the jelly left around. I have actually added the jelly in to soups, melted. I always top my stuff with a good helping of lard or duck fat.
Matt Wright
WRIGHTFOOD BLOG
www.mattikaarts.com/blog
mattwright
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general