pork pies

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby Spuddy » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:33 pm

I'd just like to say a public "thank you" to Terry AKA Paul Kribbs for the pie dolly he made for me. It looks absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to use it (which I will as soon as my new kitchen is finished).
I will post some pictures of the results as soon as I have made some.
:D
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:15 pm

Glad you're pleased Spuddy,

Hope you enjoy using it, I still haven't used mine, been too busy lately.

BTW, I used the waste lathe chippings from the pie dolly to use for smoking. The smoked Merguez was nice straight off the smoker, slightly bitter eaten cold later at work. That must be down to the Roble wood.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Shaun » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:32 pm

Wilf
Have you tried to grow naga yet?
Paul
Any chance of a price on them dollies. Like spud said you could have a market here.
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:14 pm

@ Wilf
Blaise advises me that the hype surrounding the Naga is simply that; hype. He says that the best "hottest" chilli is still the Red Savina. What's your opinion?
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:36 pm

Shaun

I have PM'd you.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:35 pm

The picture I posted earlier in the thread were bought as Naga's from Peppers by post at the West Sussex Chilli Festival, I think they are just another strain of the habanero/bonnets which happen to be grown in Bangladesh or near, I have grown Fatali which are similar longish and yellowy/orange, look like these and are very hot, once you get that sort of heat who can tell a few scoville units up or down, but they do have a different sort of flavour. When you look around there are loads of varieties of habanero/bonnets/hats/hots all extremely hot with a great fruity taste if you can get past the heat, so I'm not that convinced about the naga being the worlds hottest, it may be hype or someone naming another strain from Bangladesh.
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:00 pm

So, ignoring heat, what would you say was the best variety of chilli in terms of flavour?
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Shaun » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:09 pm

Paul Kribs
Have pm'd you.
Shaun
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:35 pm

Hi Guy's

I don't mean to be a party pooper but I keep looking at this tread for pork pies. can we please move this to chatter.

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:50 pm

I have mentioned this thread was going off track earlier, an administrator can split the thread and move selected posts to a thread in chatter, leaving a pork pie to be made here
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:51 pm

I will bring this thread back on track with a pork pie recipe, that I purloined off the web:-

Pork Pie

Servings: 4-6

Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 55 minutes

Ingredients
For the pastry
450g plain flour
1 tsp Salt
100g lard
50g Butter
300ml boiling water

For the filling
675g minced pork
200g smoked streaky Bacon, finely chopped
1 tsp chopped sage
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200/gas 6 and grease a 25cm pie plate.

2. Sieve the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.

3. In a Pyrex jug, cover the lard and butter in boiling water. When the fat has melted, pour the liquid into the flour and bring together with a wooden spoon to a smooth dough.

4. Cut the pastry in half and leave one piece in a warm place. Roll out the other piece until it is large enough to cover the base of the pie plate. Carefully line the base.

5. Combine the pork, bacon, sage, nutmeg, Worcestershire sauce and a little seasoning. Fill the pie case with this mixture.

6. Roll out the remaining pastry into a circle to cover the dish and brush the edges with water. Neatly place on top of the pie and seal and crimp the edges with your fingers. Make a small hole in the centre with a sharp knife.

7. Bake for 10 minutes and then reduce to 180C/gas 4. Cook for another 45 minutes, until the pastry is golden. Remove from the oven and leave to rest.

regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:28 pm

sausagemaker wrote:Hi Guy's

I don't mean to be a party pooper but I keep looking at this tread for pork pies. can we please move this to chatter.

Regards
Sausagemaker

I don't mean to be picky or anything but I think you'll find that this thread IS in chatter already. Sorry :roll: :wink:
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Spuddy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:29 pm

Nice recipe Paul, I'm going to have to try that on my new dolly!! :D
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:46 pm

Spuddy

Let me know how it goes cos I've not tried it yet, just stole it from Brian Turner and put it with the rest of my stolen recipes.. although he did it with a lentil side dish. I've had enough of lentils lately so left them out.

I really fancy doing something I used to buy about 30 years ago called 'country sausage pie'. I don't have a recipe but it's basically a hot crust pastry much the same as for a pork or scotch pie. The filling however is one of sausage and onion. I think Franco's 'traditional' mix along with some finely shredded onion for the filling would be just the job. I recall it had a lattice top to the pie. That should cut the calories down by a 99th.. LOL.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:24 pm

Sounds good, would that be sausage meat or whole sausages (I assume sausage meat) and do the onions go in raw or are they cooked in some way (fried maybe) first.
Thinking about it some chunks of cheese and a bit of pickle might be good in there as well to make a sort of "ploughmans" pie.
I can feel a bit of experimenting coming on :D
Spuddy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Cookery in general