Swedish potato dumplings (Kroppkakor)

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Swedish potato dumplings (Kroppkakor)

Postby grisell » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:17 pm

A traditional Swedish dish. Typical winter food. Traditionally served with melted butter and lingonberry jam, but personally I'm not very fond of the jam. The butter can also be excluded because of an already high fat content. Allspice is used in many Swedish dishes, from herring to meat. This is because one of our few colonies ever was St Barthélemy in the West Indies during the 18th and 19th century, and one of their major export goods was allspice. To this day, Sweden remains the largest consumer per capita of allspice in the world. If you hate allspice, exclude it. It's important that the dough isn't stiff since it will be like rubber when boiled. The challenge is to make the dough as soft as possible (by adjusting the amount of flour) but not so soft that it falls apart when boiling. Boiling a sample before making the dumplings the first time may be a good idea.

4 servings

Ingredients:

1.2-1.5 kg large potatoes
0.3-0.5 l plain wheat flour (not the self-rising variety)
1 egg
½ tsp salt
300-400 g salted belly bacon, unsmoked (home cured of course :wink: ), diced
1 onion, coarsely chopped
½ leek, coarsely chopped
1 tsp allspice, crushed
½ tsp black pepper, crushed
(Salt)
Melted butter (optional)
Lingonberry or cranberry jam (optional)

Method:

Boil the poatoes, skin on, until soft (ca 20 minutes). Drain and let cool.

Sautée the bacon slowly in its own fat until almost crisp.

Add onion and leek and sautée until they are soft. Add allspice and pepper and let cool.

Peel and grate the potatoes and mix to a dough with the egg, ½ tsp salt and the flour. The amount of flour depends on how mushy the potatoes are. The dough should be soft but not sticky. Boil a sample if you feel unsure. The boiled sample should be soft but not fall apart.

Divide into twelve patties and top each with 1-2 tbsp of the pork mixture. Roll into large balls with the filling inside. The remaining pork mixture is served hot à part (on the side).

Bring four litres of slightly salted water to a boil in a large pot. Put in the balls and boil (lid off) until they float to the surface plus five minutes more. Pick them up with a slotted spoon.

Serve hot with the remaining meat, melted butter and jam if desired. Leftovers can be heated in the micro oven or halved and fried in butter.
Last edited by grisell on Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:52 pm

They look good :D
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:36 pm

They were good (although I wish that their shape were more round - my wife's fault, as usual not mine, I always make them round... :wink: ).
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:07 pm

They look great even if they aren't round. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby the chorizo kid » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:34 pm

thanks grisell. great recipe and photos. what i liked most was the nice explanation about allspice and the colony. it's that little extra touch that adds menaing to the dish and that makes it more fun to cook and serve, and increases the interest among guests. happy new year.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general