Entrecôte with truffle butter and baked potatoes

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Entrecôte with truffle butter and baked potatoes

Postby grisell » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:50 am

For once, we bought high quality meat. Swedish organic entrecôte for £20 a kilo. It was worth it. They (I don't know who "they" are actually) say that US, Irish and Swedish beef are the best in the world. So far, I've tried US and Swedish. The American is better, but the Swedish - if you are willing to pay the right price - is also excellent. I hope to try Irish beef soon.

A great difference to all the crappy discount meat we usually buy. I know you guys in the US are masters when it comes to steaks, but I thought I wanted to share - humbly - how we make it in the uncivilized world of steaks :wink: . In Sweden it's very popular to add some kind of seasoned butter (garlic, parsley etc) on top of the steak. That's what we're used to over here. I've adopted this in the recipe below. Please excuse my handling of the potatoes as you guys over there are masters of that too!

Grease the baking potatoes with lard. Place on a tray with sea salt. This way, the skins will become delicious too. Bake in a 200 C/390 F oven until soft (circa one hour). Turn once.

Make the truffle butter: 125 g/4 oz butter and 25 g/1 oz of grated black truffles. Salt and pepper.

A few drops of truffle oil and a teaspoon of Port wine makes the dot over the i.

Salt and pepper on the steaks, then brush with vegetable oil. Nothing else. Since I live in an apartment, I can't use a charcoal grill. Instead, I use an electrical grill with a real American cast iron lattice (not sure about the English word). I use double heat elements that must be connected to different sockets in the apartment in order not to blow the fuses.

Turn quickly. With 5,000 watts of thermal power in 5 square decimeters, this is a quick thing, no more than one-two minutes on each side. (Nerd fact: 1,000 watts per square decimeter is about 300 times the sun's power in the infrared spectrum, heat that is, on a sunny beach).

Open the baked potatoes. A knob of butter on the meat and one on the potato. Truffles and potato is an excellent combination by the way.

André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general