Zupa Szczawiowa (Polish Sorrel Soup)

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Zupa Szczawiowa (Polish Sorrel Soup)

Postby grisell » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:28 pm

(Try to pronounce "Zupa Szczawiowa" if you're not a Pole! :lol: )

One of the classic Polish soups. The same recipe can be used for three other Polish classics, sauerkraut soup and pickled (i.e. fermented) cucumber or beetroot soup. Just substitute them for the sorrel. This soup is also excellent in its vegetarian variety. In any case, the bacon can be excluded but rather not the cold-smoked sausage which makes the dot over the i. It's important not ot let the sorrel (or any fermented vegetables) boil since they will lose their aroma readily.

Preserved sorrel is sold in most Swedish stores. One 315 ml jar from Poland like this one costs less than £1 and is sufficient for this recipe. Anyone who has access to fresh sorrel will of course use that instead. One litre leaves will be enough. If you can find tender stinging nettles early in Spring, then you're in for something really marvellous...

Sautée a few hundred grams of diced belly (streaky) bacon in some lard or butter. (These cubes were to large IMO, you should cut smaller pieces)

Add a mirepoix of onion, carrots, celery, leek and garlic and continue stirring for a good while on medium heat. Towards the end, add one tablespoon of wheat flour. Add two-three potatoes in cubes and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Add some concentrated beef or chicken stock (e.g. cubes), a little thyme, a little salt and one bay leaf. Bring to a boil and let simmer for half an hour.

Add the sorrel (well chopped if fresh), 100 g of finely sliced cold-smoked sausage (e.g. kabanosy) and 200 ml of heavy or sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat.

Just before serving, add a handful each of finely chopped parsley, dill and chives. Serve with half a hard boiled egg and bread.

André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general