chicken curry northern Indian style

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby wheels » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:54 pm

Thanks Homer,

I think that you've hit the 'good curry' secret on the head when you say: "fry the onion with the bayleaf and cinnamon long and slow in the oil they need to reduce by over 60% and be very brown but not burnt..this is vital..dont cook them enough and it will spoil the whole curry.", it makes all the difference.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: chicken curry northern Indian style

Postby SausageBoy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Brilliant!

I'd like to make it sometime!

I'm curious....

homer wrote:4 heads of cloves (round bits only not the stalks)

Are the stalks bitter? Is that the reasoning here, or something else?

:)
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Postby homer » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:40 am

to tell the truth..im not sure :lol:
ive always believed if you cant eat it dont stick it in to begin with, hence also removing the seeds from the cardomon pods
ive based the recipe on just using the heads of the cloves, if you want to put the whole clove in maybe just use two heads of them instead..but using the old dont fix it if it aint broke rule ill stick with pulling the round heads off
next time i cook one ill post up some pics of the stages of cooking
Other half moaned on about me finding new hobbies ..found this site..now she's sorry!!
homer
Registered Member

Postby lbacon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:31 am

The recipes look brilliant. I have to give it a try as well. I was eating Biryani on some Persian cook place a while back and was rather satisfied with how their food tasted but was not visually pleased with its presentation. I really think they could do a lot better job with making it look tasty and surely, the added orange sauce won't be of great help here.
lbacon
Registered Member

Postby Mays89 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:55 am

Oh my this sounds fantastic! It's gonna be a great dinner for a home party. Thanks so much, I'll try to cook this one and send you some feedback:)
Mays89
Newly Registered

Postby homer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:52 pm

if im overdoing the amount of pics then please delete as necessaries mods
excuse the bad quailty of the photos but the other half left the camera in the campervan so these are on the mobile phone, the cooker hood light and under cupboard lights seem to clash in the photos

this one is the onions and bits going in to show just how many are there at the start of cooking, this is in a large non stick wok

browning away after a few mins

garlic, ginger and chillis ready to go in

bits now in

this shows just how much the onions have browned slowly..they look burnt but because they have cooked on a very low heat there not burnt at all, the white bits are the ginger and garlic

been into the blender and now back cooking in the wok

chicken now added and cooking in the mixture

water was added and its now finished cooking..oil ready to spoon off the surface

oil removed leaving just the chicken and sauce ready to serve

knocked up a bit of rice and some super crispy onion barjees (spelling) and a bit of mint yoghurt sauce..again sorry this is a real crap pic with the phone camera

oh well just sat here reading through the post and realised i had forgot to add the green pepper :oops: :oops:
Other half moaned on about me finding new hobbies ..found this site..now she's sorry!!
homer
Registered Member

Postby homer » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:37 pm

done a recent photo of the dish with the proper camera rather the the phone one!
however forgot to take it off manual focus :oops: :oops:

but you get the idea

homer
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:05 pm

It looks superb, and good presentation. But if that's oil around the edge, maybe a bit more skimming before you give it to the judges?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby homer » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:32 pm

yes i did know that but i left it there for the photo as it gave it a nice sheen, didnt skim off any oil
thought i had to make it look as good as possible to even get my foot in the door.. theory being when professional photographers do it its then never edible after with all the tricks they do.

i placed every bloody pieces of chicken and pepper by hand lol then the oil just washed everywhere so that pic is after wiping all around the edge of the plate :lol:

amazing what you can do with a square tupperware container :oops:
homer
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:40 pm

You can tell that you've put a lot of effort into the presentation. :D

It was just the yellow ring around it that detracted from the rest - but please note, I'm 'splitting hairs' - however, given two good meals, that's what the judges will do.

Just trying to make sure that Our Boy Wins!

Phil :wink:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby homer » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:56 pm

splitting hairs is fine :D
just hope the judges are not looking for a korma or tikka masala as this tends to be the british norm
needless to say ive purchased 6 ton of ingredients today and will be cooking 2 currys a day until i can do it blindfolded, backward while juggling eggs and knocking up a pork pie!
costco run today to get some pork as im down to 1 packet of bacon in the freezer had to be put on hold :shock: :shock:
if i lose at least i know i will have given it my best shot and i would put it down to the judges looking for a different style of curry
funny enough the place its being filmed at run Indian cookery courses
anyone for a free curry or two :lol:
homer
Registered Member

Postby homer » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:01 pm

tonights effort

skimmed as much as possible..started with a ladel then tablespoon then teasppon this is as good as it gets oil wise..also knocked up a little cleansing salad/garnish, chopped red onion, cucumber, vine tomatos squeeze of lemon pinch of salt and sprinkle of coriander leaf
also sorted the focus on the cam
got another 2 to cook tomorrow and one monday then its the big one :roll:
put in 300ml oil and got back about 230ml..thats over about 3 portions (2 large chick breasts)

homer
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Mmmm... that sure looks good! :)
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Sure does - let's hope he still speaks to the likes of us when he's famous! :lol: :lol: :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: chicken curry northern Indian style

Postby bwalt822 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Does anyone know where the recipe for this went? I had bookmarked it and now it looks like some posts are gone...
bwalt822
Registered Member

Next

Return to Cookery in general