Mango puree.

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Mango puree.

Postby Salmo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:57 pm

I want to put a layer,at least 1/2 inch & perhaps 1 inch, of "set" Mango puree as a top layer on a cheescake.
I don't know whether Arrowroot or Gelatine would be best as a setting agent (or something else?) & would appreciate some advice,particularly how much is needed to get a good set for X amount of tinned Mango puree.
I'm not looking for a jelly like consistancy but something similar to the rest of the cheesecake ,if that's at all possible.
Thanks in advance.
Give a man a fish,and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish,and you won't see him again for the rest of the season.
Salmo
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:08 pm

I think that I'd go for gelatine as arrowroot would require you 'cooking' the mango. The last I used was 1 sheet per 100ml for a soft set, but details should be on the packet as the size of sheets can vary.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Salmo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:01 pm

Cheers Phil
Gelatine it is then.
Give a man a fish,and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish,and you won't see him again for the rest of the season.
Salmo
Registered Member

Postby froginoz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:03 am

I would try Xanthan Gum
It is available in the health food section of the supermarket (at least it is at Coles in Australia)
You need only use less than a 1/4 teaspoon for a litre of Ice-cream for example.
One of the main advantage is that it doesn't need cooking to thicken the mixture.
I also use a small amount in bread, salad dressing, custard and other desserts, etc..
froginoz
Registered Member

Postby Zulululu » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:15 pm

I would try Xanthan Gum

Ditto only problem is when you mix it in, a good way is to sprinkle it in while you have the blender running. Will give you a good mouth feel as well.
No one knows more than all of us.
Zulululu
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:03 pm

Xanthan Gum is frequently listed in Stan Marianski latest book about making healthy low fat sausages in regard to thickening, fluid retention and mouthfeel.
I am going to try it out as I have just received the book.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:39 am

I wouldn't dispute that it's a great product. But it seems to be 'taking a sledge-hammer to crack a nut' in respect of what the OP was asking?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby froginoz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:09 am

I was watching a BBC show last night called "Jimmy Food Factory" and he was demonstrating the use of Xanthan gum to make low fat mayonnaise.
He also explained that it originates from the bacteria that makes the slimy stuff on rotten cabbage leaves. (of course it is grown commercially in clean vats)

The main advantage is that it sets at any temperature from cold to boiling and gets the same result.

It does fit the OP requirements since you can dissolve a small pinch in some of the juice and get the commercial cheese cake glazed effect.
froginoz
Registered Member

Postby Zulululu » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:03 pm

I wouldn't dispute that it's a great product. But it seems to be 'taking a sledge-hammer to crack a nut' in respect of what the OP was asking?

:roll: :roll: :roll:
No one knows more than all of us.
Zulululu
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general