Crisy Pigs ears

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Crisy Pigs ears

Postby Oddley » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:06 pm

I am going to get a pigs head tomorrow. So has anybody got a recipe for crispy pigs ears. Perhaps HFW's recipe. If not, I will have to make up as I go along.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:04 am

Here you go mate, try this, it's the HFW one...

Simmer the ears gently for a couple of hours (normally while still on the head but not if you don't have a pot big enough!). Remove from water and cool, removing any hairs.
Brush on a light coating of mustard, slice into strips (lengthways) and roll them in breadcrumbs. Drizzle over some melted butter and bake for 30 minutes or so at 220 deg C (Gas 7). Serve with Tartare sauce.

Do you have a brawn recipe?
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:58 am

Thanks Hobbitfeet, I've got the cut up heads in a brine ATM. I'm going to have a go at the Fromage de Tete by Jane Grigson as the brawn recipe, I'm also doing a couple of bath chaps.

I went a bit mad when I was down Smithfield and bought two heads, 20 kg of chuck steak, 20 kg lamb and a belly of Pork.

If the recipes for the heads come out any good, I'll post them.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Hobbitfeet » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:19 am

Good luck with the processing! Fromage de tete sounds a bit posh...what happened to head cheese? That lot must have taken a bit of carrying! It's a good job we meat eaters are big and strong.
"I would not enter on my list of friends (Though graced with polished manners and fine sense, yet wanting sensibility) the man who needlessly sets foot upon a worm." William Cowper.
Hobbitfeet
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:42 am

LOL you're right it is head cheese and a bit posh. I put the name down so that anybody with the book can look the recipe up.

Jane Grigson seemed to love the French. She slagged off the English at every opportunity in the book. Mind you, In 1966 if I remember correctly, English cooking was a bit basic. I mean prawn cocktail was considered exotic then. I remember a Saturday treat, was a Vesta packet curry.

Carrying all that meat up to my flat nearly killed me. I was puffing like an old steam train, and thought a heart attack was on the cards.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:20 pm

Blood and thunder Vesta dried packet curry - now that does bring back the old memories.
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general