Le foie de volaille à la cuillère (Chicken Liver Paté)

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Le foie de volaille à la cuillère (Chicken Liver Paté)

Postby grisell » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:33 pm

I made this the other day. "À la cuillère" means "on the spoon" and refers to the pâté being soft and spreadable.

Recipe

250 g chicken liver (other liver can also be used)
250 g pork back fat, half-frozen
1 teaspoon salt, 0.6% nitrite (or common salt + a tiny pinch of saltpetre)
½ tsp sugar
½ teaspoon white pepper
½ tsp Four Spices (Èpice Riche)
1 tbsp Armagnac or Cognac
1 tbsp Port wine
20 g black truffles, chopped
200 ml heavy cream
3 egg yolks

Cool everything. Grind liver and fat finely. Mix the cream with spices and liquor. Mix in cream, truffles and egg yolks into the ground meat a little at the time while stirring. Everything must be ice cold. Mix thoroughly.

Pour the mixture (it's very runny) into a baking pan that has good room for the paté. Preheat the oven to 150 C. Place a baking dish (which has room for the the paté) with boiling water in the oven. Insert a meat thermometer probe in the middle of the paté and bake it in the water bath to 65 C internal temperature (about an hour). Remove from the water bath and let cool. Let stand in the refrigerator for at least one day before consumption. Keeps for at least one week in the fridge. Should not be frozen since the consistency will suffer.

This is the way I served it, with toasted home-baked brioche bread and a salad with walnuts.

André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general