Scotch Eggs

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Scotch Eggs

Postby markh » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:31 pm

Given the previous topic(s) has anyone tried making scotch eggs with real, home grown sausagemeat? (PC version... Scotch Egg Style)

With the variety of recipes and flavours I bet you could have some cracking combinations :)
Before the Roman came to Rye or out to Severn strode, the rolling English Drunkard made the rolling English road... G.K.Chesterton
markh
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:47 pm

Hi markh,
I used to make Scotch eggs, but haven't made them for ages. I have just got some sausages out of the freezer, to make some tomorrow. Your post just tickled my fancy.

Up in Scotland some people use oats instead of breadcrumbs to coat them. I think I might give that a try.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Heather » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:19 pm

I made scotch eggs a few weeks agon, I used a minced pork belly/herb mix, and used Matzo meal instead of breadcrumbs - very tasty.
Heather
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:53 pm

Just finished making scotch eggs. The oat covered ones are really nutty. They came out quite good.

Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:01 pm

Oddley

They look really nice, I take it the others are covered with normal crumb. All you need now is a dollop of home made mayonnaise. Lovely.
Looks like I will have to follow suit.. This hobby is playing havoc with this diet, especially when pictures are posted. :lol:

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby markh » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:05 pm

They do look superb (and I notice free of the dreaded Green Ring :wink: ), was it a basic sausagemeat seasoning or something more exotic?

Heather, forgive my ignorance but I have never come across Matzo meal, could you explain what it is?
Before the Roman came to Rye or out to Severn strode, the rolling English Drunkard made the rolling English road... G.K.Chesterton
markh
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:12 pm

My wife just got out of the freezer my basic pork sausage. The recipe has been posted.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:23 pm

Can you cook scotch eggs in the oven, or must they be deep fried?
aris
Site Admin

Postby sausagemaker » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:28 pm

Hi Aris

Yes you can cook scotch eggs in the oven but like most things that are traditionally deep fried you have to accept the flavour changes, and softer texture coating.
However you should always flash fry them when being made so that the egg or batter substrate holding the crumb is set.

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:46 pm

Aris

my opinion is that scotch eggs MUST be fried, I have tried them cooked in the oven and the coating seems more compact and that delicious fried flavour is missing. Just a traditional thing.

If you are worried about the fat content just dry them on absorbent kitchen paper after frying in 'Spry Crisp 'n Dry'.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aris » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:14 pm

Not worried abotu the fat - i don't have a deep-fat-fryer, and doing it in a pan is a PITA and a bit dangerous.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:25 pm

Markh, I first saw Matzo meal used by Nigella Lawson, as a crumb-coating. It's available in supermarkets, can't remember what section though.

I think it's probably something like broken bits of Matzo crackers. You get a crumb consistency Matzo meal and a fine one which is more like flour. I used the coarse one for scotch eggs, and sometimes add some of the fine one to bind burger patties.
Heather
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:22 pm

Heather wrote:.... It's available in supermarkets, can't remember what section though..

its traditionally passover food so you could try the kosher section of larger supemarkets
jpj
Registered Member

Postby markh » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:40 pm

Thanks for the info, it isn't something I have come across before.

My normal Supermarket is quite small - if its not a contradiction in terms - maybe I should venture into the big city more often... :(
markh
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:02 pm

being lightweight crackers, you could probably get the postman to bring some to you for quite cheap . . . or better still why not just try and make some:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/worldjewish/jewish94.html
sounds like a good recipe
jpj
Registered Member

Next

Return to Cookery in general