King Ranch chicken and green rice

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

King Ranch chicken and green rice

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:33 pm

When I lived in Bath, many years ago, I had an American friend from Texas who used to cook this dish. I remember it as being delicious and a really satisfying. Given the 30 year gap from when I last ate it, I decided to try and cook it from memory the other night ( I had some spare tortillas and wondered what to do with them). The result wasn't bad, but not quite what I remembered. Do any of you guys from over the pond have a good recipe to pass on? I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:51 pm

Here you go. http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2007/10/king-of-casseroles-king-ranch-chicken.html

I've used the "slightly fancy" recipe, adapted to use other than cow dairy. I've not used the classic recipe. Southwestern Chicken ala King with tortillas.

HTH
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby vagreys » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Chilies don't like me, anymore, so I haven't done an Arroz Verde dish, but Rick Bayless' recipes are very authentic and very good.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Green-Poblano-Rice-Arroz-Verde-al-Poblano-15367

HTH
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Thanks for that Tom. I knew she used Campbells condensed soup in it, so I used chicken, not mushroom. Perhaps that made a difference. I like the look of the fancy version, I will try that next time. The green rice recipe looks good, I used spinach in mine as that was all I could remember.

Appreciate your help.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general