Vegy Pies

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Vegy Pies

Postby BriCan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:52 am

A little late on this but being out with the girlfriend took preference :D

This was a fun project and has been well received and is turning out to be a big seller

The strangest things happen to me for some unknown reason it maybe someone is just pulling my chain or maybe it’s just like a commercial of old in North America where the three children are sitting at the breakfast table and one young lad turns to the other after looking at the cereal in the bowl and after the go around of ‘you try it; no you try it’ and say’s ‘let's get mikey to try it’ --- I sometimes feel like mikey with ‘muggins’ stamped on my forehead

And so another journey begins -----

The phone call came out of the blue (as usual) the brummy voice on the other end said that I had been recommended because I make British pies and if this was so if I could get him some ‘Pukker pies as he used to sell them in his chippies back in Walsall (UK for the North American folks). After telling him that his chances of that was slim and none – more on the none side I explained the reason why and asked had he tried “real” pies as I had by chance tried Pukker pies on my Christmas trip back to the UK.

Realising that he would not be able to get Pukker pies for his restaurant/chippie he decided to place an order with us for the following; 72 chicken pies; 72 steak pies and 48 vegy pies – the question was asked if I could supply by tomorrow night (Friday) as they was having a soft opening on the Saturday – the answer was yes

Now you have to realise that I am a Butcher (reckless; but all the same a butcher) and now my reputation is on the line --- reputation! – What reputation. I have the chicken pies as well as the steak pies vegy pies – what the heck are them??

I think to myself that I will take the meat pies and act dumb about the vegy pies; who know I might just get away with it and they might not miss them. Off I go to deliver the pies and am received with open arms until it was time to leave; the question that I had been hoping that would not rear its head decides to tap me on the shoulder as I am leaving – where are the vegy pies? As quick as the question was asked came the reply; will be finished when I get back to the shop and delivered tomorrow – Thanks came the reply

Now I was on the hook as I needed to have vegy pies made and delivered in about fifteen hours (that includes my four hours sleep) and I did not have a clue of what I was going to do. With that in mind I head back to the shop to sign off and get over to the supermarket to get some inspiration of how I was going to handle this major problem. I had been looking on the internet for some time for recipes that would inspire the making of the pie (similar to the search I did for the seafood pies that I make) but there was nothing that gave me hope or inspiration so it looked as though I would be on my own

Walking up and down the aisles at the local Canadian Superstore I pondered this and that picked that and this up as well as put things back six or seven times. The trick on this project was to think like a vegetarian and make that mouth experience found within a meat pie without using the obvious nuts and such. What feels like two hours later I had (hopefully) what I needed

Winter Veg. – Broccoli and Cauliflower, - Mushrooms, - Peas, - Carrots, - Corn, Tomatoes – onions and garlic along with olive oil - cheese

There have been two changes (for the better) since the first ones once by the customer requesting a cream (?) sauce and the other from my sons vegetarian girlfriend

And so the journey goes

2 kg - Winter Vegetable – Broccoli and Cauliflower
1 kg – French cut green beans
1 kg – Peas
1 kg carrots 3/8 diced
1 kg Corn whole kernel
1 kg Potato 3/8 diced
3 kg Peeled and sliced onions
70 gm Fresh minced garlic
2 x 100 fl oz Mushrooms – stems and pieces
2.250 kg Cheddar Cheese

Sauce
4 lt Milk
4 lbs Margarine
4 lbs Flour
335 gm Vegetable soup base
25 gm Madras curry powder
20 gm Dill
10 gm Thyme

Spices – vegetable soup base – madras – dill – thyme

Onions and garlic have been sautéed in olive oil, broccoli – cauliflower carrots and mushrooms have been added in that order

Corn next

Followed by French cut green beans

and peas

finally the blanched 3/8 diced potatoes

The roué has been made (flour – milk – and margarine), the spices have been added and now cooking down

Sauce ready

adding the cheese

Pies ready for tops

Topped

edited 1 time 05/03/2012
Last edited by BriCan on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

mummm pies

Postby dorsets21 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:26 pm

i,m glad your on this page as you are doing what i,m thinking of doing 8) what do you charge for a pie what are your cost to make or a ball park figure if you can pm me as not to give out two much
ask the question? where does my food come from
dorsets21
Registered Member

Postby Vindii » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:34 pm

Those look good Robert. I think I may have to try one. :D
Vindii
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:51 pm

Brican: Vegetarian: Nooooooo! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now how do I work in the line: "He stands among the cabbages and peas"?

Nice pies Robert. Do you realise that I'm 10 miles away from home of Pukka Pies?

http://www.pukkapies.co.uk/

It shows the poor standard of commercial pies in the UK, as they're considered one of the better ones!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:29 pm

Robert, is there a typo on the amount of cheese?
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby BriCan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:21 pm

vagreys wrote:Robert, is there a typo on the amount of cheese?

:oops: :oops:

2 1/4 kg
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:41 pm

looking good, but it needs some chicken, pork or turkey IMHO :lol:
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby mitchamus » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:44 pm

looks great....

curry powder somewhat makes up for the lack of meat...... maybe. :)

A company in Australia called Mrs Macs make my favorite take away pie - Chilli Beef & Cheese....although the Beef Cheese & Bacon one is a very close second.
mitchamus
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:43 pm

If Australia does one thing great its pies
most local bakeries make a good one
ours does chunky steak amongst 10 or so other varieties
chicken leek and mushroom works well too
but love pasties too

I also make my own and freeze them for later.
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general