Horseradish

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Horseradish

Postby Franco » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:32 pm

I've found a supplier for ground dried horseradish, I'm going to use it in a new beef sausage seasoning. If anyone wants the horseradish I will be selling it on the site.

The supplier sells it to processors who then make horseradish sauce from it, I have used it in a few recipes and it's pretty good.

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:41 pm

Franco

I have already used a proprietry horseradish sauce with your traditional mix in a beef sausage and it was very nice indeed. I used half a jar for a kilo of meat/fat.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby TobyB » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:18 pm

Franco, why use dried horseradish? It grows on just about every bit of waste ground in the UK (Look for big leaves shaped like donkey's ears and about the same size, you can't mistake it as once you dig up a root the smell is unmistakable).

Do you use dried stuff solely so that you can add it to a dried seasoning mix or is there some other property associated with dried as opposed to fresh horseradish (eg does it taste stronger?). Also do you need to rehydrate it prior to use or does the sausage hydrate it whilst "proving" in the fridge?
TobyB
Registered Member

Postby Platypus » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:38 am

Franco,

I have been looking out for the horseradish to appear on the site but can't see it yet. Have you got the supplies in yet or are you still waiting delivery?

BTW the description for wasabi powder is incorrect as it is just the turmeric description re-stated.

PS Whatever happened to the BBQ spice mixes?
Platypus
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general