REC: Chilli Apple Jelly

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

REC: Chilli Apple Jelly

Postby deb » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:26 pm

My mother-in-law gave me a few dodgy looking cooking apples (no good for apple pie) so I made some of this stuff with them. It's something we usually have around and it goes well with pork chops, so I got to thinking it'll probably go well with pork sausages. It's really easy to make and IMHO a vast improvement on apple sauce.

CHILLI APPLE JELLY
Makes approx. 1.5l/3pints (7x �lb jars)

2kg/4�lb bramley apples
cold water to cover
approximately 1.5kg/3lb preserving sugar
10-15g/2�3tsp chilli flakes

Roughly cut up the apples then place into a preserving pan, pips, core and all. Add enough cold water to cover. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 30�40 minutes, or until the fruit is pulpy.

Pour the fruit and liquid into a sterlised jelly bag and allow to drain through into a large container until it stops dripping, about 3-4 hours.

Measure the juice and allow 450g/1lb preserving sugar and 5g/1tsp of chilli flakes for every 500ml/17floz of juice. Place the juice, sugar and chilli flakes in a clean pan. Bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Reduce the heat and carefully skim off any scum from the surface. Return to the boil and boil vigorously for 15-20 minutes or until setting point is reached, skimming regularly. Using a sugar thermometer, the setting point will be reached at 105C/220F.

Remove the pan from the heat and leave to settle for a few minutes. Skim the surface once again. Pour the liquid jelly through a wide mouthed funnel into jars that have been sterilized (put in oven at 90C/200F/Gas�). Seal each jar with a lid. This jelly will keep for 2 years, unopened.

NOTES:
I use ordinary granulated sugar which seems to do the trick just as well as preserving sugar.

I usually put the finished stuff through a sieve because I don't like too many bits of chilli flakes left in.

I have made it using more or less apples, it's the ammount of juice you end up with that's important.

I made it with slightly less water this time, it didn't actually cover the apples it was just below the top of them, and the flavour was much better.

If you've never had a go at jam making before it's probably a good idea to have a quick read about it and get to grips with what to do.

If you try it, I hope you like it.
Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted
deb
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:11 pm

Thanks for the recipe deb. If I see any cheap (As I'm bound too mess it up) good cooking apples I'll give the recipe a go. As it looks so darn good.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby novice » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:12 pm

lovely,sounds yummy will try it; I make one that is almost the same quantities but uses jalepenos (fresh,chopped,seeds and all), so its green and may be milder, not sure til I try yours though!
novice
Registered Member

Postby aeddon » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:08 pm

I personaly found this a bit too sweet for my liking, so i use white wine vinegar aswell.

taken from greatbritishkitchen.co.uk

Ingredients

2.3 Kilogram Cooking apples (5 lb)
1.1 Litres Water (2 pints)
1.1 Litres Distilled malt vinegar (2 pints) (i use white wine vinegar)
Sugar
A shed load of chillis or to taste

Method

Remove any bruised or damaged portions from the apples and roughly chop them into thick chunks without peeling or coring. Put them in a preserving pan with the water and the parsley sprigs. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 45 minutes, until the fruit is soft and pulpy. Stir from the time to time to prevent sticking. Add the vinegar and boil for a further 5 minutes.

Spoon the apple pulp into a jelly bag or cloth attached to the legs of an upturned stool, and leave to strain into a large bowl for at least 12 hours. Do not squeeze. (i squeeze it as i dont mind cloudy jelly)

Discard the pulp remaining in the jelly bag (or as some recommend, use it for apple butter). Measure the extract and return it to the pan with 450g (1 lb) sugar for each 600 ml (1 pint) extract.

Bung in as many chillis as you wish. Heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved, then boil rapidly for 10 minutes. Test for a set and, when the setting point is reached, remove the pan from the heat. Skim the surface with a slotted spoon

I find this a good sweet and sour balance. i like to use a lot of hot chillis in place of a couple of habenaros.
aeddon
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general