Mountain Anchovy Project

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Wed May 02, 2012 2:59 am

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!
Too bad it didn't work, I'm an anchovy addict! :D

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Wed May 02, 2012 3:53 am

Dogfish wrote:...My thought was that any North American trade in salt before the horse would have been extremely small, and without any significant boat-building efforts by First Nations prior to the fur trade, the reach would be very small, even smaller than in the Old World, and therefore prohibitively expensive, even more so than in the Old World (where "salary" was a measure of trade in salt; soldiers got their "salary" and were "worth their salt").

Ah. My comments were less about trade and more about the availability of salt, inland, as well as at the coastal margins. We know that plains tribes traded in salt to some degree and used salt in the processing of some hides and meat, though whether they were using boiled salt from salt springs or surface deposits, I don't know. Four Corners tribes had access to salt mines. Eastern, Midwestern and Southern tribes boiled salt from salt springs. Sorry I wasn't clear.

I don't find much reference to other than dried and possibly cold-smoked freshwater fish, though.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby grisell » Thu May 03, 2012 10:11 am

I think I finally got it! :wink:

I posted the recipe with pictures in the Fish section. I also posted a recipe for Swedish style anchovies.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cookery in general