Yet more meady goodness

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Yet more meady goodness

Postby Oddwookiee » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:39 am

So with berry season off to a fantastic start and fruit not far behind here in Oregon, I've been spending a lot of my spare time at U-pick farms harvesting an assortment of berries, cherries and such. In addition to a whole pantry full of jams & preserves, I have a strawberry mead and a blueberry mead working, with a raspberry being started this week and blackberry, tayberry, sylvan, marionberry and salmonberry to follow as they come ripe. Yay living in farmland and loving to go fruit picking.

I find myself with about 12lb of ripe, dark Bing cherries surplus after the canning, so I'm going to start a batch to add them to (of course). However, since I already have a straight cherry mead sitting (and what a glorious color it is!) I want to make a spiced cherry mead. Vanilla has been done to death with cherry, so I'm looking for something else. I'm thinking maybe grains of paradise for a bit of peppery contrast, but I'm open to suggestions. I found a spice shop in a little hole in the wall in Portland that has everything I can think of spice-wise, and a lot I never have, but I haven't talked to the owner yet as I loathe going into that much civilization.

I figure if I'm going to solicit advice, I might as well go to a community of people who are intimately familiar with spices. Brewing I can get at gotmead (i'm asking there too) but I'm more interested in a flavor contrast between the heavyness of the honey, and the thick sweetness of cherries. Something a bit 'pokey' without being hot (jalapeno peppers are my upper limit), or kind of astringent, to cut the thickness of the honey & cherry combination.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby salumi512 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:36 am

Sounds like you're going to have fun. I am not a berry picker. I lived in Alaska and picked wild blueberries a few times. It's a tremendous effort for quantity, not to mention you are next to all the bears that want the same blueberries.

Looking forward to what you come up with though.
salumi512
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:44 am

Chokecherry? Huckleberry? I've had chokecherry that fermented really dry and nice.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general