Hard Cider Whole-Grain Mustard Recipe

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Postby RodinBangkok » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:40 am

Much thanks for the details on the science. Explains a lot of my early missed attempts and gives me something new to try next time around.
Cheers!
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:24 pm

JerBear wrote:[---]
2. "cold liquids start the reaction; warm or hot liquids arrest it. For maximum hotness, make sure the liquid you add to the ground mustard is cold. Add warmer liquid to limit the potency." (sorry grisell, no specific temperatures were mentioned)
[---]

Yeah, I thought so too. I always mixed with cold liquid and got terribly bitter results. Then I used the method I described above and voilà - perfect. :wink:

I don't notice any decrease in heat. I made some Russian mustard for Christmas and - OMG - it was hot!
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:09 pm

I tried my mustard last night and it's still hot as heck with that distinct clear out your nose horseradish feel. One of the sites last night mentioned that the enzyme myrosin was in both mustard seeds and horseradish.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:13 pm

Just let it sit a while and it'll mellow. I've found horseradish and mustard to be just about inedible fresh.
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cookery in general