question on mold, fermentation "chamber"...

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

question on mold, fermentation "chamber"...

Postby ferincr » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi,
I have this question going on in my head so I better ask...
I've seen plenty of videos of commercially/traditional methods made salami where they just throw them in basement to ferment/cure and they claim the penicillium nalgiovense is naturally present in the ambient there so there is no artificial application of it.

So, I normally ferment my first batch inside my curing "chamber" (modified fridge) but once I have some going and it gets set for curing I can no longer ferment there (temp and humidity too low).

Since I like to overlap batches I need a different place to ferment. I figured out that I have an unused large cooler that I set upright (simile a tiny fridge) and attached a couple of grid shelves so I can ferment there before moving to the curing setup.

My question is: Is it convenient to completely sterilize the fermenting cooler after the batch is removed or since nothing is touching the walls is it better to leave any traces of Pen.Nalg. mold that might be present inside and just wipe the bottom where the fluids drip? After all isn't that what those basements are doing?

Let me know if this is not clear or if pictures are needed...
Thanks,
Fernando
ferincr
Registered Member

Re: question on mold, fermentation "chamber"...

Postby herjac » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:24 pm

"is it better to leave any traces of Pen.Nalg. mold that might be present inside and just wipe the bottom where the fluids drip? After all isn't that what those basements are doing?"

That's exactly what I have been doing for years with no problems. I initially used a plastic container such as you suggested using but I now use my curing frig at the correct temp for the culture being used. The sausage provides all the humidity required as it ferments. I would only think of sterilizing the chamber if bad mold was evident.
herjac
Registered Member

Re: question on mold, fermentation "chamber"...

Postby ferincr » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:26 pm

Great!!! Thanks!!!
ferincr
Registered Member

Return to Beginners