burgers

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby captain wassname » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:36 pm

the beauty of Oddleys burger reciepe is that there is no specific amount of meat called for just add to every 100gms meat 3gms bread crumb 10gms onion and 1.54gms of spice mix To make the spice mix just use gms where it says parts and you end up with 39 gms of spice mix which is added at the rate of 1.54gms per 100 gms of meat.
Hope this is as clear to you as it sounds to me If not ask again and Ill try to clarify.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Makes sense now

Postby topconker » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:01 pm

Thanks Captain,
That makes sense now.
TC
topconker
Registered Member

Postby Gerry D » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:32 pm

Oddley wrote:I was working on a burger recipe for a while, now it is about perfect. I'm so confident that I'll say if you follow the recipe exactly, you won't eat any other burger.

For some reason I can't view the recipe. I know it's an old post but all of the responses make this sound like a moral imperative. Has the recipe been moved?
Slainte

Gerry D
Gerry D
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:35 pm

its on page 3 of this thread.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:29 am

Oddleys Bonza Burgers

Chuck Steak Minced on 4.5 mm Plate

Of meat
3 % Breadcrumbs
10 % Finely chopped onion
1.54 % Spice Mix

Spice mix
76.9231 % - 30 parts salt
10.2564 % - 4 parts black pepper
5.1282 % - 2 parts Sweet smoked paprika
5.1282 % - 2 part onion salt
2.5641 % - 1 part cumin seed powder

Method
Mince cold chuck steak (only as it gives the burger just the right taste) through the 4.5mm plate of a mincer, then add spice mix and knead thoroughly, until slightly sticky. Add onion and mix add breadcrumb and mix. Shape into 4 - 5 oz burgers, and use or freeze.

:D
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby gyeniceri » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:49 pm

I am trying this recipe tonight.

Also, I made an Excel sheet calculator for Oddley's Awesome burger Recipe. How am I going to share this?
gyeniceri
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:34 pm

Gyeniceri

Regrettably, there's no facility for hosting it on the forum. You could maybe host it on your own server? However, that would depend on others having comparable software or you could convert it to a program that's in the public domain (Open Office?).

I generally post this sort of thing on my blog using a simple Javascript calculator. I can send you the details if you'd like, or alternatively if members want, post a calculator on my blog?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby gyeniceri » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:02 am

Your blog is one spot for calculators. May be you should do it there with a permission from Oddley :wink: .
gyeniceri
Registered Member

Postby Jaunty » Sun May 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Just another shout out for Oddley's burgers, yummy :D .

Nothing to do with the recipe, but next time I make burgers I will mix much more lightly so they are less "dense".
Jaunty
Registered Member

Postby chillihound » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:48 am

Jaunty wrote:Just another shout out for Oddley's burgers, yummy :D .

Nothing to do with the recipe, but next time I make burgers I will mix much more lightly so they are less "dense".

I agree with this. I made Oddley's Bonza Burger and the taste was simply stunning but I found the cooked patties a little firm.

I will be trying again using a lighter touch when mixing the ingredients and trying a panade.

I didn't have onion salt but I do have a mahoosive tub of dehydrated onions so I blitsed some to a fine powder - worked well. May also try the addition of garlic to the panade but first I gotta try Oddley's recipe exactly as suggested with good meat.

This said I fully believe the reason for the dense burgers was the Sainsburys pre-packed minced beef and the dough hook on my Kenwood Chef. Getting down to Smithfield soon so Chuck has been added to the list.
chillihound
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:06 pm

I recommend you to try without the breadcrumbs and onion in the mix. Bread and onion should be on the burger, not in it IMO.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby Jaunty » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:15 pm

When making other more traditional burgers I have found not salting them at all when mixing helps keep them loose. Just add salt as seasning when you cook them.
Jaunty
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:10 pm

grisell wrote:I recommend you to try without the breadcrumbs and onion in the mix. Bread and onion should be on the burger, not in it IMO.

I was of that opinion - until I tried these. Go on, live dangerously, try them!

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: burgers

Postby spudie » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:13 am

God bless the great Oddley, this recipes deserves an OBE all by itself
We miss him so much
Spudie Oz
spudie
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners