making good mold

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

making good mold

Postby Edd » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:56 pm

what is the name of the stuff you spray on salami or supprasato to for a good mold and is it really neccesary
Edd
Registered Member

Postby Headonis » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:01 am

Bactoferm 600
I love Meat
Headonis
Registered Member

Postby Edd » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:54 pm

Thank you, Can you spray it after the soprasatta is already hanging for a month?
Edd
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:19 pm

You can, and I have done this, but the mold may not bloom fully by the time the sausage is finished drying.

I get the best mold blooms when applied during or before the fermentation period with very warm temperatures and high humidity. During the drying period with lower temps and humidity the mold won't tend to bloom as fully or as fast as it would have had you applied it at the beginning.

If you aren't having any bad mold issues then it's not entirely necessary to innoculate with the bactoferm at this late stage. You may lose some subtle flavors but it won't ruin your product not to have it.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby Edd » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:37 pm

Thanks again for the help, ya just gotta love this site
Edd
Registered Member

Return to Beginners