Lonzino, had an issue

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Lonzino, had an issue

Postby NXGHOST » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:44 pm

I finally got to the stage of stuffing the Lonzino from Len's site,

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/index_files/lonzino.pdf

I had a heck of a time getting the meat into the collagen casings (Next time I use natural for un-ground recipes). The concern I had was when I was shoe-horning the meat into the casing, lot's of the seasioning/cure scraped off. Is this a problem or would the cure have already absorbed into the meat? I used the smallest casing possible because I didn't want too much air in the casing.
NXGHOST
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:21 pm

Welcome to the forum NXGHOST.

I've had a look at the recipe and after 18 days of curing, the meat should be near enough fully cured, so the remaining salt etc you knocked off, during the stuffing escapade, should not matter too much.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby NXGHOST » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:48 pm

Oddley wrote:Welcome to the forum NXGHOST.

I've had a look at the recipe and after 18 days of curing, the meat should be near enough fully cured, so the remaining salt etc you knocked off, during the stuffing escapade, should not matter too much.

Thanks! Is there an easier way to get non-ground meats into the collegen casings? There were a lot of swear words yesterday! LOL. At least 15 min each piece. I could have picked a larger casing but wanted it to be tight.
NXGHOST
Registered Member

Postby aris » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:48 pm

What size casings were you using? The Reber stuffer has 4 sizes - one of which is VERY large and could probably stuff 1 inch cubed pieces fairly easily.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:37 pm

I can't really be much help. I've never used collegen casings.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby NXGHOST » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:38 pm

aris wrote:What size casings were you using? The Reber stuffer has 4 sizes - one of which is VERY large and could probably stuff 1 inch cubed pieces fairly easily.

I used 3" casings. Keep in mind this is a single large piece of meat. No stuffer is used.
NXGHOST
Registered Member

Postby aris » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:55 pm

Ah ok. Perhaps you should e-mail Len Poli and ask him - i'm sure he has lots of experience in this.
aris
Site Admin

Return to Beginners