Confused and desperate

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Confused and desperate

Postby hunterman » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:34 pm

Firstly Hi to all
This is my first post so go easy on me.
I would like to make some salami but have soon discovered it�s not quite so easy.
The main problem seems to be temp and humidity.
I have read peoples posts and was considering building a dry curing cupboard. This is the one I was looking at making http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/htm%20tex ... ontrol.htm
However after reading posts nobody seems to be using this and trying to build their own. http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=900
Which is a little over my head.
So does anybody know if PacBell�s Ideal Environment for Dry Curing is worth building or of any other dry curing cupboards worth a look?
Also I would like to give dry curing a go. Looked at some posts and think I would try a small piece of belly and Franco�s Parma style ham.
Is it really this simple and how long will it keep?
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=1014
Anyway enough dribble
Cheers

Ps great forum
hunterman
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:31 am

welcome hunterman

Yes it would be nice to have a well controlled environment for curing, but I do not make enough salami or chorizo to warrant making one. If I made more, and had the room, then I would definitely make one. That is probably the reason most people on this forum don't have a purpose built curing environment. I would like to make a purpose built smoker but don't really have the room for that either.

Temp and RH are a bit of an issue, hence the deep discussions on the links you have posted, but as long as you have somewhere around 6C - 13C, with 65RH - 80RH it shouldn't go wrong.. a mid range of these 2 approximates would be ideal.

Good luck if you decide to go with it.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aeddon » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:08 am

welcome hunterman

your thead is almost identicle to my first posts and know i have two loin eyes and a loin of pork curing in parma ham cure.

The loin eyes will be ready to hang in a few days and the pork loin needs it second curing time in the fridge before hanging.

I'm going on the look out for a fridge or freezer to incubate the pork or its goin to hang in the kitchen for a few days then of to a cool back bedroom for a couple of weeks.

I aint offered any instructions of tutorials but i was completly bewildered a few weeks ago then read up and asked a few questions now i'm curing ready to move onto salami
aeddon
Registered Member

Postby hunterman » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:13 pm

thank you for replys
i have ordered sausage making kit and await arrival (out of stock) and think i will concentrate on this first.
in the meen time i will keep a look out for a cheap freezer. i managed to pick up a freezer control unit so i am on my way.
fortunatley Paul i have the room, my son moved out not long ago leaving his room empty. and im trying my beast to fill it with home brew and sausages. LOL
aeddon i know what you mean completly bewildered.
can you recomend any good reading ?
i have read some of your posts and you seem to be doing ok so hopfully i won't be far behind you :D

aeddon
happy eating
hunterman
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:54 pm

I too have a spare room, and at present there are 2 salamis in there, one hanging from the curtain rail, and the other from a cupboard handle :shock: Had to bring them in from the shed as the temp plummeted. RH isn't quite right being between 45%-50% but temp is OK at 15C.

I also dabbled with the dreaded homebrew.. don't make it now.. found myself drinking more and more. Thought it prudent to stop making it.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aeddon » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:10 am

i recommend reading len poli site over and over again... then read it again. search through the multitude of different threads and your questions will be answered.

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/

hang on a minute paul, you gave up home brew because you drank too much... your sig betrays you!!! :wink: :lol:

you cant beat a good home brew. I look far to young for my age so had to make do with copious amounts of home brew instead of getting into pubs, which wasnt to bad!
aeddon
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:20 pm

aeddon

Unfortunately my job has a random med-screen policy and have a blood / alcohol tolerance of less than the road limit so I do not take any chances as it would be immediate dismissal. I still quaff a few when time is suitable, although not home brew :(

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby aeddon » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:30 pm

fair enough. My home brew does have reputaion of being a tad potent, needs to be taken in moderation
aeddon
Registered Member

Return to Beginners