Curing without bactoferm...

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Curing without bactoferm...

Postby jay travis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:54 pm

In 'salumi' they talk about curing without bactoferm, or any starter culture.. Still need the dq salts, but they say instead of adding the bacto and giving it a 24 hour kickstart, you would instead, grind and spice ur meats, then cover it tightly and refrigerate it for a 4 week 'laydown' in the fridge, where the surface will turn grayish (oxidized) and the underneath pork will be pink and fragrant... any experience with this? i suppose i trust my senses well enough to know if its bad before i eat it, or worse, let someone else eat it.
jay travis
Newly Registered

Postby wheels » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:38 pm

Welcome

They're hoping that lactic bacteria will develop naturally, I guess. It's odd to do this at fridge temperatures though.

Phil

P.S. Your post is difficult to read as your avatar takes up half of the screen. Maybe you could reduce the size of it - about 100pixels square would be good.
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners