Air Flow v. Air Circulation - Any merrit here?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Air Flow v. Air Circulation - Any merrit here?

Postby reee » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:42 am

Hi All,

I've been having some mold issues (addressed in another thread) and I can't for the life of me figure it out. One question I have is this:

Where does air flow come into play?

Let me define what I'm talking about since I think they are made up terms (in my vernacular). I define air circulation as the air that actually moves inside the unit. I define air flow as new air that flows into the unit whenever the door is opened or whatever. The crux of the issue is - what do others do to ensure they get new fresh air into the drying chamber, or do you at all?! Am I over thinking this? Do we need to get fresh air in there? Generally, to answer a likely cursory question, I am looking in the chamber at least ever other day.

Thanks guys and gals. Much appreciated.

Marshall
reee
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:23 pm

Marshall,
Matter of fact, I like to know that as well as I am collecting all the items for a curing chamber.
No doubt, somebody on the forum will have the answer to this.
Good luck,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:49 pm

The flow of air for dry curing should be very low

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?p=37516

Oddley wrote:These are the air velocity's for commercial production of dried sausages.

For the first 2-4 days the air velocity 0.5–0.8 m/sec

5–10 days air velocity 0.2–0.5 m/sec

to 90 days air velocity 0.05–0.1 m/sec

It is very difficult to achieve such low velocities, in my experience, with a fan in a small (larder fridge) sized chamber. So, I favour the: "The air'll change when the fridge door's open" approach!

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners