Inject meat at 20% pump??? what??

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby Oddwookiee » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:30 pm

The overnight is absolutely inferior to brining, no two ways about it. Getting the spice onto it immediately after rubbing with curing salt is the key to it- the salt will suck water out of the brisket, it mixes with the spices, then gets sucked back into the brisket. The vacuum bag being under pressure helps to squeeze the whole works, too. It's an imperfect solution when someone needs a corned beef quick, but it does a decent job of it. It'll be a sight better then anything mass-produced for a grocery store, I'll guarantee you that. It works better on thinner pieces, but even a thick piece will turn out pretty good after a couple days.

Given my druthers though, a long soaking brine is the way to go.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Postby Carl333 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:08 pm

Oddwookiee wrote:The overnight is absolutely inferior to brining, no two ways about it. Getting the spice onto it immediately after rubbing with curing salt is the key to it- the salt will suck water out of the brisket, it mixes with the spices, then gets sucked back into the brisket. The vacuum bag being under pressure helps to squeeze the whole works, too. It's an imperfect solution when someone needs a corned beef quick, but it does a decent job of it. It'll be a sight better then anything mass-produced for a grocery store, I'll guarantee you that. It works better on thinner pieces, but even a thick piece will turn out pretty good after a couple days.

Given my druthers though, a long soaking brine is the way to go.

Interesting, thanks for the explanation. I got a brisket brining and I hope 72 hrs. will provide good results. I realize longer is better, but I'm under pressure.
Carl333
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners