Dextrose / Kosher salt

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Dextrose / Kosher salt

Postby kennyliza » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:59 pm

1. is dextrose strictly necessary, or will caster sugar do? if so in what ratio should I substitute it.
2. I have seen several references to kosher salt - what is its use and how is it different to regular salt?
I'm grateful for your replies
kennyliza
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:33 pm

EDIT: You can use castor sugar but at 0.7 times the amount of dextrose.

If the recipe says use kosher salt I normally use sea salt or rock salt instead.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/saltguide.htm

I think if you can find time have a good look around the forums, It should answer most of your questions.
Last edited by Oddley on Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Franco » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:07 pm

Oddley wrote:[color=indigo]You can use castor sugar but at 1.43 times the amount of dextrose.

color]

Oddley,

Dextrose is 1.43 times less sweet than castor sugar so you would need to use 0.715 the amount of castor sugar otherwise the sausage would be far too sweet :shock:

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:43 pm

Thanks for the info Franco. After thinking about it you are right. The following post by Parson Snows threw me. He is normally accurate. But no excuses.

Parson Snows wrote:You can basically use any sugar though dextrose/glucose is the best for sausage making. If you use sucrose (common refined sugar) increase the amount used by 1.43 (ie if 2 Tbslpns of dextrose/glucose are mentioned replace this with 1.43 • 2 = 2.86 Tblspns of sucrose)

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=377
Oddley
Registered Member

Return to Beginners